Mutated
Board Donator
Fully Loaded
EG Cash

Anti-anxiety and sleeping drugs found to double the risk of death

Jeremy Dean
PsyBlog
Fri, 03 Oct 2014

Like many drugs, those prescribed for anxiety disorders, like diazepam and temazepam, have a number of known side-effects like daytime sleepiness, falls, an increased risk of dementia - and they are also addictive.

Now, though, a new study has found evidence for a long-suspected danger of these drugs as well as common sleeping pills: an increased risk of death.

The large study, published in the British Medical Journal, looked at data from over 100,000 patients who had been to their family doctors across seven years (Weich et al., 2014).

It found that taking anti-anxiety drugs (like diazepam) or sleeping pills (like zolpidem/Ambien) doubled the risk of death.

In real terms this meant:

"...there were about four excess deaths linked to drug use per 100 people followed for an average of 7.6 years after their first prescription" (Weich et al., 2014)

There was also a dose-response effect: the more of the drugs people took, the higher their risk of death.

To reach its conclusions, the study matched people who had taken the anti-anxiety and sleeping pills with other similar patients who had not taken the drugs.

The study also controlled for psychiatric illnesses like anxiety and sleeping disorders.

Many of the patients in the study received more than one drug and 5% had taken drugs of three different types over the study period.

Benzodiazepines - like diazepam and temazepam - were the most commonly prescribed drugs.

Professor Scott Weich, who led the study, said:

"The key message here is that we really do have to use these drugs more carefully.

This builds on a growing body of evidence suggesting that their side effects are significant and dangerous.

We have to do everything possible to minimise over reliance on anxiolytics [anti-anxiety drugs] and sleeping pills.

That's not to say that they cannot be effective.

But particularly due to their addictive potential we need to make sure that we help patients to spend as little time on them as possible and that we consider other options, such as cognitive behavioural therapy, to help them to overcome anxiety or sleep problems."

Comment: There are numerous studies showing that natural methods such as supplements, exercise and meditation are far better at combating anxiety and sleeplessness. The problem is that BigPharma has been too successful in pushing drugs as the cure-all for everything, because there is no money to be made from natural cures.

Nothing has helped me sleep more than meditation.Helping to make an overall happy feeling of euphoria all day long allows my mind to be at peace at night.

Most times its the stresses of life throughout the day that keep the mind racing at night making it more difficult to fall asleep.Being able to handle and bypass these daily stresses goes a long way at living a stress free life and a calm mind.

Here is an infomercial webpage ad that says it's a 500% increase in the risk of death from ambien and the like.
http://7deadlydrugs.com/

It lists the 7 most deadly drugs and is very interesting.
And says that ambien and the like are the #1 most dangerous drug.

It's a video, but you can hit the x button and it will give you the option to leave/stay on page.
Just click stay on page, and you can read the ad info faster than the video plays it.

F.I.S.T. said:
Nothing has helped me sleep more than meditation.Helping to make an overall happy feeling of euphoria all day long allows my mind to be at peace at night.

Most times its the stresses of life throughout the day that keep the mind racing at night making it more difficult to fall asleep.Being able to handle and bypass these daily stresses goes a long way at living a stress free life and a calm mind.
F.I.S.T.
Nothing more important than a good night sleep. I just woke from an 11 hour nap. Still tired but can't sleep all day lol

49ER said:
I didnt know you were a junkie this explains your random moronic childish comments
49ER
You don't like my comments then don't read them... I am very sorry you guys are stuck with a shitty QB once again and you like to take it out on the members of this board.

Crawl back into your little whole you bay area fuck head.

All you have to do is click the ignore button and it's done, I doubt you will though I think you like me.

Is this study talking about death via overdose, or death by other health issues? It's not very clear about that. Death by overdose is pretty fuckin obvious when they state "the more drugs that are taken, the greater the risk of death is." While Benzos and the like are extremely addictive drugs, they aren't terribly hard on your body's major organ systems from my understanding.

Mick said:
You don't like my comments then don't read them... I am very sorry you guys are stuck with a shitty QB once again and you like to take it out on the members of this board.

Crawl back into your little whole you bay area fuck head.

All you have to do is click the ignore button and it's done, I doubt you will though I think you like me.
MickIf you need a sponsor or just someone to talk to my pm is just a click away, there is still hope for you

F.I.S.T. said:

F.I.S.T.
Who has time for that mister Zen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.