Bar grip

stonetag

Crazy Old Bastard
Jacked Immortal
Mutated
EG Cash
It seems some of you bro's have wrist issues, can it be your grip on pushing movements? i.e. bench, MP, etc. I see a lot of folks using a suicide grip, you know the one thumb tucked under the bar against the fingers. I see seasoned guys using this and saying it's just comfortable for them. I started with this grip years a go and it put so much pressure on my wrist because of the bar not being on a straight line from the elbow to the center of the bar. I also see a high risk of the bar slipping of the edge of your palm. I think the grip is a personal preference thing. The traditional thumb around the bar can improve form and an increase in poundage, JMO The grip (suicide) does play a part in my lifting world in that I use it when doing skull crushers, but the bar sits differently in your hand. To me it is just the heavy movements where it is questionable. You bro's have an opinion?http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/cSJCDcAKShA/mqdefault.jpg

Shit, I couldn't get the vid to display, check youtube suicide grip bench. I'm trying to be computer person!

suicide grip sucks imo

I only use the suicide grip at warm-ups and w light weight !!!
When goin heavy I dump the suicide grip for the traditional, I always thought there was a chance of the barbell slipping outta my hands !!!

I never use suicide grip.... in addition to being risky, it also hurts my wrists more than traditional. Some pretty good videos on you-tube of people dropping the bar and breaking ribs, collar bones, etc....

I use it when doing smith machine tricep press...evrything else is normal grip.

I jacked up my wrist when I did a superman off my Indian at 70mph and tried to stop myself with my hands when I hit the ground. My hand bent all the way back and was flush with my forearm. BTW none of this was intentional

Akhusker said:
I jacked up my wrist when I did a superman off my Indian at 70mph and tried to stop myself with my hands when I hit the ground. My hand bent all the way back and was flush with my forearm. BTW none of this was intentional
AkhuskerDamn Indians!

Looks like I'm the only suicide grip fan. I find its a lot less pressure for me personally. Broken my right wrist once and it has a syst and me left twice.

Fuk the death grip just started training a guy 3 weeks ago and he thought he was going to use the suicide grip. I told him if he wanted me to train him he would have to change his grip or I wouldn't train him. Have seen the results of the suicide grip and it's no good. I have shattered both my wrist in a motorcycle accident years back and a proper grip is absolutely key to keeping them from getting worse.

Seen a tiny lil kid using it yesterday, he loaded 225 up.
LMFAO he wasn't even doing 1/2 a rep...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.