Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Auction Sniper
EG Freak
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
http://blog.americanspice.com/index.php/make-your-own-beef-jerky/
I check this blog for recipes every now and then. Figured this would be a great one to share.
Note the temp change. He said he needs to change it to 160*

5-8 pounds of super lean beef.
1 extra sharp knife
1 large 2 gallon plastic bag
Marinade

1 cup low sodium soy sauce
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup honey
3 tablespoons onion powder
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons black pepper
1-3 teaspoons of cayenne (depends how much you like yourself.)
Trim your beef of as much fat as possible. We used eye of round (in my opinion the best cut for jerky), but other acceptable cuts are bottom round, london broil, flank steak, or even brisket. Just trim as much of the fat off as you can. Marbling is NOT good here. THe leaner the meat the longer the jerky will keep.

Put the trimmed meat in the freezer for about an hour. This will par-freeze the meat and make slicing easier.

Slice meat as thin as possible (less than 1/4″ if possible) – WITH the grain for chewy jerky, AGAINST the grain for a more tender jerky.

In a large bowl mix all the marinade ingredients. Add cayenne to taste.

Put the sliced meat into the 2 gallon bag. Pour the marinade over it and mix well. I like to seal the bag and massage the meat with the marinade to make sure it is all good and coated. Open the bag, push out the air and reseal. Place bag in a bowl (to avoid accidental spillage) and let sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. The meat should be completely submerged. If it is not, add some water or even a beer up to 1/2 cup. I also like to mix the meat up every so often while it marinates.

Now you can dry the meat in 1 of three ways, the prep is about the same for each so we will start there. Lay the meat in a single layer on racks. Over racks, cooling racks on a baking sheet, the racks of your dehydrator… it just needs all over air-flow.

Sprinkle with more red-pepper flakes if you are crazy like me.

Now how you dry your meat. THe goal is to dry out the meat, not cook it:

1) In an oven at the lowest temperature possible. 160° is ideal.

2) On a smoker at 160°.

3) In a commercial dehydrator at the meat setting.

Each technique takes about 6 hours.

You know that the jerky is done when it’s dry to the touch, you can easily rip a piece apart. You want the jerky to bend, not snap (if it snaps you have over-dried it).

MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM Love me some jerky. That looks like a good recipe too. I've always winged it on ingredients but i'll give this a try.

Hot damn, this is a good one! I like Flank myself, but Flat Iron is real good.

i do love jerky!

I make a mean venison jerky. I don't measure shit though. I simply make sure the meat is covered with the brine I made up.
Bow season starts today!!!!!!

Baited said:
http://blog.americanspice.com/index.php/make-your-own-beef-jerky/
I check this blog for recipes every now and then. Figured this would be a great one to share.
Note the temp change. He said he needs to change it to 160*

5-8 pounds of super lean beef.
1 extra sharp knife
1 large 2 gallon plastic bag
Marinade

1 cup low sodium soy sauce
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup honey
3 tablespoons onion powder
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons black pepper
1-3 teaspoons of cayenne (depends how much you like yourself.)
Trim your beef of as much fat as possible. We used eye of round (in my opinion the best cut for jerky), but other acceptable cuts are bottom round, london broil, flank steak, or even brisket. Just trim as much of the fat off as you can. Marbling is NOT good here. THe leaner the meat the longer the jerky will keep.

Put the trimmed meat in the freezer for about an hour. This will par-freeze the meat and make slicing easier.

Slice meat as thin as possible (less than 1/4″ if possible) – WITH the grain for chewy jerky, AGAINST the grain for a more tender jerky.

In a large bowl mix all the marinade ingredients. Add cayenne to taste.

Put the sliced meat into the 2 gallon bag. Pour the marinade over it and mix well. I like to seal the bag and massage the meat with the marinade to make sure it is all good and coated. Open the bag, push out the air and reseal. Place bag in a bowl (to avoid accidental spillage) and let sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. The meat should be completely submerged. If it is not, add some water or even a beer up to 1/2 cup. I also like to mix the meat up every so often while it marinates.

Now you can dry the meat in 1 of three ways, the prep is about the same for each so we will start there. Lay the meat in a single layer on racks. Over racks, cooling racks on a baking sheet, the racks of your dehydrator… it just needs all over air-flow.

Sprinkle with more red-pepper flakes if you are crazy like me.

Now how you dry your meat. THe goal is to dry out the meat, not cook it:

1) In an oven at the lowest temperature possible. 160° is ideal.

2) On a smoker at 160°.

3) In a commercial dehydrator at the meat setting.

Each technique takes about 6 hours.

You know that the jerky is done when it’s dry to the touch, you can easily rip a piece apart. You want the jerky to bend, not snap (if it snaps you have over-dried it).
Baited
this recipe is kick ass. Its the same one I got off allrecipies.com. Ive been using it for years. I use a dehydrator

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.