Chia Seed the super food

Akhusker

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
I had just posted on another thread talking about Chia seed so I figured why not make a thread about it since it is such an amazing and overlooked food.

Chia is an edible seed that comes from the desert plant Salvia hispanica(part of the mint family), grown in Mexico dating back to Mayan and Aztec cultures. "Chia" means strength, and folklore has it that these cultures used the tiny black and white seeds as an energy booster. That makes sense, as chia seeds are a concentrated food containing healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium.

Chia seeds are an unprocessed, whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike flaxseeds). One ounce (about 2 tablespoons) contains 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, 205mg calcium plus iron, niacin, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, boron (which helps the absorbing of calcium by the body) and many vitamins.

The mild, nutty flavor of chia seeds makes them easy to add to foods and beverages. They are most often sprinkled on cereal, sauces, vegetables, rice dishes, or yogurt or mixed into drinks (I add them to my smoothies) and baked goods. They can also be mixed with water and made into a gel.

Here are a few things that people can benefit from by eating them:

They support Heart Health and lower Cholesterol
Chia seeds can help reduce blood pressure. The seeds contain one of the highest known plant sources of essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6). EFAs cannot be synthesized by our bodies however, it is very important that we get enough to support our immune, cardiovascular, nervous and reproductive systems. Chia is high in soluble fiber. Soluble fiber has been shown to help lower cholesterol.

Stabilizes Blood Sugar
Chia seeds slow down the rate at which complex carbohydrates are digested and then assimilated into the body. The soluble fiber helps to stabilize blood glucose levels resulting in steady, sustained energy. In one study on diabetic patients, Dr. Vladamir Vuksan of St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto, found that blood was thinner and less prone to clotting and blood pressure of participants dropped significantly, after three months of taking Chia seeds daily. Chia has an extremely low glycemic index of 1, and actually helps to lower the rate at which other carbohydrates are converted to sugars.

Anti-Inflammatory Properties
A number of arthritis sufferers have reported reduced pain and inflammation after a few weeks of taking Chia seeds. The high concentration of omega-3 helps to lubricate joints and keep them supple. Additionally, Omega-3s are converted into prostaglandins which are known to have both pain relieving and anti-inflammatory effects.

Digestive Health, Detoxification and Elimination
Chia has both soluble fiber (which forms the outer gel), and insoluble fiber. Both types of fiber are healthy for the digestive system. The insoluble fiber helps cleans the intestinal tract. The soluble fiber can act as a prebiotic and help feed the good bacteria in your digestive system. Also the swelling action of Chia in the body helps to cleanse and soothe the colon, and absorb toxins while lubricating and strengthening peristaltic action.

Get Better nutrition from other foods
Remember the gel it makes? Well, by maintaining the proper level of hydration and electrolytes in your stomach you actually optimize your bodies ability to effectively absorb other nutrients. Also. the essential fatty acids in chia help the body emulsify and absorbs the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.

High Quality Protein
Chia seeds contain about 20% protein, a higher percentage than found in many other grains such as wheat and rice. Chia seeds contain strontium which helps to assimilate protein and produce high energy.

Antioxidants
Chia seeds are an excellent source of antioxidants containing even more antioxidants than fresh blueberries. The high amounts of antioxidants in Chia seeds also keeps the oils from going rancid - contributing to a long shelf life.

Brain Power
EFAs are known to make cell membranes more flexible and efficient making nutrients more readily available and nerve transmission more efficient. This helps to improve brain function (including memory and concentration).

Great product! Especially useful when dieting and you are one to be overly hungry. If you have crohns disease however stay away.

homegrown said:
Great product! Especially useful when dieting and you are one to be overly hungry. If you have crohns disease however stay away.
homegrown
That's good to hear you have had experience with it helping with hunger, a doctor did a research study on it to see if it actually did help with hunger and weight and in a 12 week study he had proved that it actually didn't. Which is why I didn't add it into this article. So it must work for some and not for others, the placebo effect can help as well, if people think it will help then it might. The mind is funny like that.

Believe me it helps. Back when I was more active in a competitive athlete I had to really watch my weight And I had a hunger that was absolutely out of control. I worked with a sports nutritionist who was a professional cycler we really help me with my hunger and weight issues

homegrown said:
homegrown
Im worried i might have crohns, so maybe this might not be good for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.