DB vs BB Bench Press

D

Duckhombre

I used to swear off barbell bench, now I love it. I switch back and forth in phases, now. I love DB because they seem to be easier on my shoulders, with a better stretch, but nothing beats bars for pure mass.

Duckhombre said:
I used to swear off barbell bench, now I love it. I switch back and forth in phases, now. I love DB because they seem to be easier on my shoulders, with a better stretch, but nothing beats bars for pure mass.
Duckhombre
I've heard people swear that DB are better because it incorporates more stabilizing muscles, but who knows.. I think it comes down to preference.

DB's def incorporate stabalizers, but 4 pure mass BB..

I prefer mix of both

I just became accustomed to DB cause I rarely have a spotter. Getting stuck under 385 is not my idea of fun.

I actually do a mix of both in my workouts. Start with Incline BB press, and then off to the DB flat bench

I used to switch back & forth week to week as well, but I have found the more traditional 4-8 week training phases actually does a better job of keeping your muscles from getting 'used' to a workout protocol. Getting on a certain protocol(say mass phase with barbell) and sticking with it until it is played out, until gains slow. Couple this with a good anabolic protocol and you are in for it. I base my cycles (blasts?) around how my training is going instead of the other way around. Change from heavy bar to a higher rep dumb, I would change what I am taking. I find this works better than just randomizing your routine to try to keep things fresh, as eventually I just ended up in a plateau with nothing "new" to do. Your experiences will vary, I am by no means saying this how you need to do things.

This is the way to do it. Do your workout for a period. Giving your muscles a chance to reply to the stimulus you are providing. When the growth and progress slow down, change up the routine. Doing something different every workout is counterproductive for consistent growth.

Do both if you are able to. why cheat yourself if you can benefit from both then do both DUUHH!!! ;D

slimpickings said:
Do both if you are able to. why cheat yourself if you can benefit from both then do both DUUHH!!! ;D
slimpickingsDamnnnnn! Big wheels came in with the common sense Smack Down!!! 😛

TSizemore said:
slimpickings said:
slimpickingsDamnnnnn! Big wheels came in with the common sense Smack Down!!! 😛

Lol.. I do have brief moments of clarity where everything I say is pure genius. ..

I do stricly DB Bench, but mainly b/c my left shoulder is a major limiting factor. I also like the stretch I get with DB's too, but I agree, comparatively my chest is smaller than the rest.

Ill switch back to barbell eventually but now is not the time.

trying to get back to reg barbell and man I'm all over the place, zero stabalizers on right side.
2nd try today, went up a little in weight but I'm still doing chick weights

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.