Mad Referrer
Jacked Immortal
EG Auction Sniper
VIP Member
Shout Master
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash

FAQ #1: Stiff legged deadlift vs. Romanian deadlift: What’s the difference?

The stiff-leg deadlift closely resembles the Romanian deadlift, the difference being the bar starts and finishes each rep on the floor and your legs remain straighter in the stiff leg deadlift vs. the Romanian deadlift.

Research shows that the stiff-leg deadlift is effective for glute, hamstrings, and lower-back development because it has a long range of motion.

However, most people can’t lift as much weight using the stiff-leg deadlift as they can with the Romanian deadlift. Many also find the stiff-leg version difficult to learn and uncomfortable, especially if they have poor flexibility or lower-back issues.

This is why most people prefer the Romanian deadlift to the stiff-leg deadlift, and why it’s the variation I recommend in my programs for men and women, Bigger Leaner Stronger and Thinner Leaner Stronger.

FAQ #2: Good morning vs. Romanian deadlift: What’s the difference?

The good morning is a compound exercise that trains your entire posterior chain, primarily the hamstrings, glutes, and lower back.

It’s similar to the Romanian deadlift insofar as it involves “hinging” at the hips, then standing back upright. The difference is that you perform the barbell good morning with a barbell across your traps and rear delts, whereas in the Romanian deadlift, you hold the barbell in your hands.

Both are excellent exercises, which is why I included them in my strength training program for intermediate and advanced weightlifters, Beyond Bigger Leaner Stronger.

FAQ #3: How much weight should you lift for deadlifts vs. Romanian deadlifts?

You’ll be able to lift less with the Romanian deadlift vs. deadlift.

Most people can Romanian deadlift 40-to-50% of their deadlift one-rep max for 8-to-10 reps and deadlift 70-to-80% of their deadlift one-rep max for 8-to-10 reps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.