Deadlifting with back pain

ajdonutz

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
How,do those,of you with lower back pain,cope and get through heavy dead sets? My lower back isn't great since I hurt it almost 2 years ago and even a few sets of 315 is all I can handle. I can hit a little over 400 for one rep but have tons of trouble increasing and it's nowhere near my squat and bench

tbh I went to rack pulls cause of mine

most people get injured going down... so i lift the weight up and then just drop it and start over... i workout at home and do this outside in the yard, in a commercial gym you might get thrown out..

but i do this with power cleans too... yank it up and just drop it down.

but my back pain could be totally different than yours so?????

ajordana said:
How,do those,of you with lower back pain,cope and get through heavy dead sets? My lower back isn't great since I hurt it almost 2 years ago and even a few sets of 315 is all I can handle. I can hit a little over 400 for one rep but have tons of trouble increasing and it's nowhere near my squat and bench
ajordana
Plain and simple bro, I am 45 years old and not a competitor, anything that hurts or has the potential to fuck up my discs due to a previous injury to my back.... I just don't do those movements. There are other lifts that can work those muscles w/o putting me at risk for further injury or pain.

Gotcha guys. Ugh, I'd love to be able to hit some decent weight in a Pl meet but my dead are shit. I may get some knee sleeves and go back to sumo and only do light,conventional.

ajordana said:
Gotcha guys. Ugh, I'd love to be able to hit some decent weight in a Pl meet but my dead are shit. I may get some knee sleeves and go back to sumo and only do light,conventional.
ajordanaI've asked you about this before...........Cause I have the same issue! I can't stand to not do them. There just isn't any better move for building mass and strength. But, I get stuck too, and can't get past that plateau without the back just killing me.

TSizemore said:
I've asked you about this before...........Cause I have the same issue! I can't stand to not do them. There just isn't any better move for building mass and strength. But, I get stuck too, and can't get past that plateau without the back just killing me.
TSizemoreIt sucks man. I progressed on them faster than anything until I hurt my back. I had only been back training deadlifts heavy for like 6 months and went from about a 275 lb deadlift to almost 500, then bam. Now I've been back training them for months and still plateau around 420 before I start falling backwards.. Bullshit. There has to be a way around it

ajordana said:
It sucks man. I progressed on them faster than anything until I hurt my back. I had only been back training deadlifts heavy for like 6 months and went from about a 275 lb deadlift to almost 500, then bam. Now I've been back training them for months and still plateau around 420 before I start falling backwards.. Bullshit. There has to be a way around it
ajordanaHere's the thing I tell myself and a lot of other people. Now, I'm probably gonna catch a lot of slack for this, but here it goes......There is really no reason, no reason at all, for a man (an average bodybuilder)to be constantly lifting more that 300lbs! Now, this of course doesn't apply to Power lifters and such who are competing. Even Arnold used to say it, It isn't necessary. You can get just as good a workout and see just as good of gains using 300lb or less and changing up your tempo or rep scheme.

Now, in saying that, I still want to put weight on the bar and move it. doesn't mean it's safe, sane, or needed. Just something us men want to do, "better then what we did before"

TSize....I'll agree with you on this and for some depending on age and possible physical limitations it should even be less weight based on each individuals personal situation. I love being fit and swole as much as the next person, but I want to be able to sustain a consistent workout well into my 50's and 60's. If you are competing or earning a living from weight training or fitness (wrestling, MMA, Bodybuilding, Powerlifting) then that's a different story.

TSizemore said:
Here's the thing I tell myself and a lot of other people. Now, I'm probably gonna catch a lot of slack for this, but here it goes......There is really no reason, no reason at all, for a man (an average bodybuilder)to be constantly lifting more that 300lbs! Now, this of course doesn't apply to Power lifters and such who are competing. Even Arnold used to say it, It isn't necessary. You can get just as good a workout and see just as good of gains using 300lb or less and changing up your tempo or rep scheme.

Now, in saying that, I still want to put weight on the bar and move it. doesn't mean it's safe, sane, or needed. Just something us men want to do, "better then what we did before"
TSizemoreDefinitely true, however, it isn't NECESSARY to weight train at all ;p my competitive ass WANTS to lift that fucking pick up truck.. Lmao. Hopefully we'll figure a way around it to fuel our egos and our health at the same time

I agree with everything kuntry and Tsize said. As much as id love to do deads I just dont I dont compete and ive tweaked my back too many times just not worth the time off if u get hurt. What T said I agree I got carried away last blast benched 365 and had some real hurt tendons that took a long time to heal. I do lower weight still heavy and get even better workouts now.

ajordana said:
Definitely true, however, it isn't NECESSARY to weight train at all ;p my competitive ass WANTS to lift that fucking pick up truck.. Lmao. Hopefully we'll figure a way around it to fuel our egos and our health at the same time
ajordana
You are right not necessary to weight train at all and I will gauge my ability to train with free weights for as long as possible, but I can see myself at 60 (maybe sooner) to move more to mostly machines. In the interim there are lifts I can still go balls out on such as triceps, biceps, traps and chest and going a little heavier on those gives me the boost of self esteem that I need to say to the rest of the old dudes in the gym that I still got it. Lol Now when it comes to squats, deads and cleans I just have to go the LA Fitness route or not at all. I have always been an easy responder on the bottom half of my body and never really had to work legs much so I can get by w/o killing the combo lifts. It's consistency and determination that makes us different than 99% of the other dudes out there and we know it. Thanks to the wonderful vendors here at EG that also allow the help of sweet oils and tabs to keep everything lubed up and fresh as w/o that it would be prob a lot more machines @ 45. Keep on keepin' on brothers....

For sure kuntry machines and cables will definitely elongate your career in the gym without injuries. I use alot of machines and cables now to along with free weights. You dont need to go super heavy to grow just gotta pump blood into the muscles.

49ER said:
For sure kuntry machines and cables will definitely elongate your career in the gym without injuries. I use alot of machines and cables now to along with free weights. You dont need to go super heavy to grow just gotta pump blood into the muscles.
49ER
Right on 9'er, consistency is where it's at. If I would have stuck with my training from my 20's instead of taking 15 years off to be a fucking lazy slob it would be interesting to see where I would be today. Everyone knows that first impressions are golden so if during the 15 years that I was taking a break how many times was I passed up for a promotion etc.... due to my laziness????? Everyone knows self confidence makes a strong impression, how might things have been different if I would have been kickin' it throughout my 30's????? I'm sure my self confidence would have been a lot better. I always said when training seems like a job (if it's not your job) then you can't sustain it. Now, I look forward to training and it's pretty fun being mid 40's and having a body that looks younger than the 20 and 30 year olds in my office. Slow and steady wins the race.....rock on brothers.

[attachment deleted by admin]

First of all I do compete in PLing. Not alot but I do 2-4meets year. My last meet was 3ks ago and I will not lift heavy again for probably another month. Keep the reps 5-12. Training for meet triples are high reps. I seriously think most guys should only DL once a month. It takes alot out of you. You should rotate rack pulls, good mornings, band DLs, zerchers etc. I also think it is needed to DL for bodybuilding to have a solid core. I think doing it too much makes your waist and core too big for an Asthetic look. I have pulled over 700 raw probably 5 times in my life. Obviously I am built to do it and I will not DL heavy every week or I fall apart.

Dam kuntry look real good bro! I started this late in life around age 26 just started gear little over 2 years ago so im hoping for a major transformation in the coming years.

49ER said:
Dam kuntry look real good bro! I started this late in life around age 26 just started gear little over 2 years ago so im hoping for a major transformation in the coming years.
49ER
9'er thanks bro, just keep up your training and diet, you seem real committed to be in your 20's.....very impressive....., and make it a lifestyle and you can do whatever you desire my man.

Kuntrykok said:
Right on 9'er, consistency is where it's at. If I would have stuck with my training from my 20's instead of taking 15 years off to be a fucking lazy slob it would be interesting to see where I would be today. Everyone knows that first impressions are golden so if during the 15 years that I was taking a break how many times was I passed up for a promotion etc.... due to my laziness????? Everyone knows self confidence makes a strong impression, how might things have been different if I would have been kickin' it throughout my 30's????? I'm sure my self confidence would have been a lot better. I always said when training seems like a job (if it's not your job) then you can't sustain it. Now, I look forward to training and it's pretty fun being mid 40's and having a body that looks younger than the 20 and 30 year olds in my office. Slow and steady wins the race.....rock on brothers.
Kuntrykok
I hate to admit it, but I get a mental high from gear and I believe it's kept me consistent for the last 5 years. I'll take the social label for the rewards and focus it brings.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.