Deprenyl (Selegiline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODINSBLOOD

YUP YUP
Jacked Immortal
Mutated
EG Cash
Selegiline hydrochloride (sold under various trade names Deprenyl, Eldepryl or Anipryl [veterinary]) is a drug used for the treatment of early-stage Parkinson’s disease and senile dementia.
It is also can be used (with reasonable efficacy), as a cognitive enhancer, and many “life-extentionists” use it to treat narcolepsy and as a nootropic.

Background
Selegiline has been used for years to help Alzheimer’s patients, but recently on February 28, 2006, it was approved by the FDA to treat major depression using a transdermal delivery system, and is being looked into for use with ADHD using a patch delivery system also.

Action
Selegiline, also known as l-deprenyl, is an irreversible and somewhat selective MAO-B inhibitor. It appears to be useful in symptomatic treatment of early Parkinson’s disease. Research indicates that Selegiline may also be neuroprotective and act as an antidepressant.
Monoamine oxidase helps to maintain neuron firing rates throughout the body within homeostatic limits. It has two primary forms: type A and type B MAO may be inhibited with agents that act reversibly and/or irreversibly as well as selectively and/or unselectively. MAO type-A preferentially deaminates serotonin and noradrenaline, and non-selectively dopamine. Type B metabolises dopamine as wel as phenylethylamine and other assorted trace amines. Through this mechanism of action, Selegiline appears to have a host of neurologically protective effects.

Technical Data
Selegiline is known to help treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (1) as well as Alzheimer’s disease (2-3). It also seems to increase feelings of well-being in its users (4), as well as acting as a neuroprotector (5) and immune system stimulant (6). Finally, it also acts to alleviate anxiety (7).

User Notes
Selegiline is one of those drugs that was very popular in track and field because it seemed to boost reaction time, and those athletes can win or lose a sprint by simply reacting more quickly to the starting gun. It’s also very likely that it improves contractile ability of muscles due to it’s ability to improve neuron firing, so it’s got some potential as a strength/speed drug…and since it wasn’t tested for back when it was very popular, it was widely used.
I think that for bodybuilders it’s marginally useful because it’s an anti-depressant and helps well-being…both of which can be helpful on heavy cycles. For strength/speed athletes, I think it can be even more beneficial, however, because it can really boost their learning ability when it comes to new skills, improve reaction time, and help them be more efficient.
I used this stuff for PCT many years ago (I read about it in my late teens in an article in MM2K). I have to say it does help you learn new skills for a sport more quickly and certainly improved my reaction time. I believe I had been using 5mgs/day and found that to be a decent dose.
Unfortunately, use of this drug can cause a false positive for methamphetamine.
Selegiline hydrochloride is the chemical name of active ingredient in Eldepryl. Eldepryl is a registered trademark of Someset Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.

References
Placebo-controlled study examining effects of selegiline in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2006 Aug;16(4):404-15.
Contemporary issues in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease: tangible benefits of current therapies.J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67 Suppl 3:15-22; quiz 23. Review.
[Alzheimer's disease therapy--theory and practice] Wiad Lek. 2005;58(9-10):528-35. Review. PolishSelegiline for Alzheimer’s disease.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(1):CD000442. Review.
Int J Neurosci. 1993 May;70(1-2):75-84. On the functions of monoamine oxidase, the emotions, and adaptation to stress.
Selegiline as immunostimulant–a novel mechanism of action? J Neural Transm Suppl. 1998;52:321-8.
Bodkin JA, Kwon AE. Selegiline and Other Atypical MAO Inhibitors in Depression. Ann Psychiatry. 2001;31🙁6) 385-391

I tried this stuff and didn't care for it, made me feel like shit all the time. I was anxious and on edge, and had almost a constant headache. Some people reported libido enhancement, but I was negative for that too.
I did feel like it bumped my metabolism a bit, and I could tell my short term memory recall was a little faster. I took it for around 3 months until I ran out, then just left it alone.

The article is correct, almost got in a lot of trouble on that shit when I had a random drug test for a company I worked for. I knew there was a chance of a false positive but I had taken other items that supposedly caused false positives and never had any problems but deprenyl was the one that got me. I got out of it made the lab dig deeper to prove I wasn't taking meth and it worked but I also had to tell them I bought it off a site that sold natural nootropics and also played dumb while the Dr told me I shouldn't buy things off the internet since I never know what I am getting lol, I knew exactly what I was getting 🙂.

Status
Not open for further replies.