Do you Prehab???

BrotherIron

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
In our sport, it's only a matter of time before you experience an injury so my question is do you perform any "prehab" movements or workouts to help to try to prevent injuries from taking place?

If you've read my training journal, you know I have a severely fucked up shoulder which I've been told I should have cut. I was lucky to find a PT who specializes on shoulders and working with athletes. I now have to perform 4-5 movements at least 3x week to keep it working so I can continue to train. I also perform prehab as part of my conditioning.

So does anyone else do this or am I alone???

My shoulder is messed up too. So what helps me is for instance if I'm doing chest I'll do some light warm up shoulder exercises so my shoulder don't bother me during any chest exercises (or lessens the pain so I can go heavier lol).

My bodies already beyond fucked so even rehab is 2 late 😛

For me, I have to do mobility work just to be able to use my football bar for bench. I can't bench with a straight bar anymore.

Man I ALWAYS warm up shoulders, No Matter what body part I’m training. It’s just normal for me to warm up the body part I’m training that day. It helps with mobility and it feels good to fill the muscle with blood before heavy training !

Maybe I should elaborate on the meaning of the word, prehab. Prehab isn't warming up a joint, body part, etc before training. It's a training session where you work on actively mobilizing a joint, working on improving the ROM, and performing certain lifts/movements which in turn increase longevity. That is prehab to me.

Warming-up for me is something totally different and even then usually different than what others may do. A lot of people think starting with a low amount of weight on the first lift is a way of warming up or perhaps walking on a treadmill. I personally don't believe that's a good way to "prime" the body for the lifts it will have to perform during a training session.

I do a dynamic warmup where I perform light lifts to get parts to fire sequentially to prep the body for the training session. For example, I perform lateral walks, monster walks, glute bridges, and bodyweight squats ALL with a hip circle before squatting. That gets my hips, glutes, hams, etc all primed and firing before I ever grab a bar. I even perform timed planks that get me bracing properly since I'll have a bar on my back and I'll have to have a stable trunk to perform the lifts which will soon happen. After all that, I warm up with the bar in the cage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.