EG News

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
QUESTION

I’VE READ MANY TIMES THAT YOU ARE A PROPONENT OF NUTRIENT “TIMING” TO HELP BRING ABOUT A SPECIFIC PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECT WITHIN THE BODY.
HOW DO YOU ORGANIZE YOUR MACROS WHEN YOU WANT TO LOOK CUT RATHER THAN ADD LEAN MUSCLE SIZE?

ANSWER

Yes, without a doubt I believe that a calorie is not just a calorie, and that each different food, as well as how you time these foods, will create a specific, predictable, and somewhat controllable hormonal cascade within the body—which is a major factor in manifesting the desired effect from your overall program.

When I am in a phase wherein the main goal is to support lean mass gains, I tend to skip morning cardio upon rising and instead go straight to my first meal, which will contain a significant amount of carbs (along with a lean protein and what little fats naturally occur). This is vital for rapidly pulling the body out of a catabolic state and setting it back into a proper path of anabolism. However, when incinerating body fat is of the highest priority, I will perform fasted cardio (note: Although I will not eat any food, I will consume about 10 grams of BCAAs and glutamine, along with some caffeine in supplemental form) in the morning and follow that up with a meal containing only protein and essential fats. It will not be until about two hours later, at my second meal, that I will ingest carbohydrates. The reasoning here is that it allows cortisol to remain elevated for a longer period since this hormone is even more catabolic to fat cells (than muscle cells) early in the day.

I generally hit the weights in the early afternoon after my third meal, regardless of whether I’m in a building or leaning phase. When adding muscle is what I’m after, I will normally perform a short, moderately paced cardio session immediately after my workout and then devour a good portion of higher-glycemic carbs (via food or a specifically engineered powder) along with a rapid-absorbing protein (i.e., whey isolate) as soon as my heart rate returns to normal. However, when it is shredding season I will ingest 40 to 50 grams of whey protein shortly after completing my last repetition and then wait about 60 to 90 minutes before having a solid protein/carb meal. (Note: As mentioned earlier, cardio is performed fasted in the morning when fat loss is the priority.) I feel that this allows the fat-burning mechanisms ignited by training to remain elevated for a longer period while also keeping natural GH flowing, both of which will help you get ripped more efficiently.

FLEX

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.