Fact or Fiction – Does Turkey Make You Tired?

01dragonslayer

Iron Killer
Mad Referrer
Jacked Immortal
EG Auction Sniper
VIP Member
Shout Master
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
It’s an hour post Thanksgiving feast – you’re stuffed, maybe even a little bloated and that couch is looking better and better by the second.

Suddenly it feels like it has gone from 5 to 11pm in about 3 minutes. Why are you feeling so tired all of a sudden?

Ahh it has to be that trypto…whatever it’s called in turkey that makes you tired, right? Everyone knows there is something in turkey which causes you to feel tired. It happens every Thanksgiving.

Is it the amino acid tryptophan you ask? Not exactly.

What is Tryptophan

Tryptophan is an essential amino acid which just means its an amino acid the body can’t make therefore, your diet must contain it. Amino acids are “building blocks” of proteins.

Foods rich in tryptophan include, as you would assume turkey but it’s also found in other poultry like chicken which we all pretty much eat daily, soy products, red meat, cheese, yogurt, fish, and eggs. Take a look at the chart below to see the comparison between different foods tryptophan content.

tryptophan-serotonin-foods

Going by this, it becomes evident that there may be something else at work here. Since chicken and turkey have the same amount of tryptophan per 100g, you would think with the amount of chicken people in the fitness community eat they would feel an effect almost every day.

When was the last time someone felt tired after pounding down a grilled chicken breast? Doesn’t happen!

Is There Anything to This

Ok maybe it’s not turkey but does tryptophan at least make you sleepy? Tryptophan is used by the body to make niacin, a B vitamin that is important for digestion, skin and nerves, and development of serotonin.

Serotonin is a brain chemical that plays a large role in mood and can help to create a feeling of well-being and relaxation but is NOT what makes you sleepy.

Serotonin is used to make melatonin, a hormone that helps to control your sleep and wake cycles. It is actually the melatonin that makes you sleepy. This is why melatonin supplementation works decently well as a sleep aid.

Blood Brain Barrier

Tryptophan does not passively pass the blood-brain barrier but is imported by a molecular carrier. The same carrier also transports other amino-acids (like BCAAs). So in order for this theory to really work one would have to not only eat a lot of tryptophan but also not ingest any other amino acids. So that definitely takes turkey and any other food item for that matter out of the equation. Outside of having pure tryptophan this is largely unreasonable.

There is actually an exercise physiology component to this discussion. BCAAs and tryptophan compete for transport into the brain. There is a something called “The Central Fatigue Theory” which does not really have anything to do with this article but relates to the topic and may help you understand the whole concept so I figured I would mention it.

During extended endurance exercise there is an increased uptake of tryptophan by the brain due to falling blood levels of other amino acids. The ratio of tryptophan to other amino acids in the blood starts to favor tryptophan. Like we previously discussed, this can cause fatigue. Supplementing with BCAAs may reduce the uptake of tryptophan by leveling out said ratio. Since they fight for transport, this could delay fatigue.

Since I just confused the shit out of you learn More About Central Fatigue

Here –> http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/1/274S.full

Understand the Central Fatigue concept and this tryptophan makes you sleepy debate gets easier. Trust me lol

Fact or Fiction

As you could guess I am going to say this is fiction. The reason you feel tired after Thanksgiving dinner is most likely caused by other things not the tryptophan content in turkey.

In general none of these things I’m about to list should make you tired enough to really make a difference. I mean I have done all of these things and hit a workout directly after. (yes, even the alcohol – pre workout clear drinks anyone?)

Here are some other possible explanations why you may feel tired after Thanksgiving dinner:

Carbohydrates: No, I don’t think carbs make you tired. However, if you are sensitive to insulin (typically unhealthy individual) , have a gluten allergy (not very common), or some type of Paleo mind warped fear of carbs (most common…jk) carbs may be the reason for being tired after Thanksgiving.

Fats: Fats take a long time to digest and slow down the digestive process. Fats also take a lot of energy to digest relative to other macronutrients, so the body will redirect blood to your digestive system to tackle the job. Since you have less blood flow elsewhere, you will feel less energetic after eating a meal rich in fats.

Alcohol: Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant meaning drinking alcohol can make you tired. Although I don’t feel like this is very common.

Overeating in General: Bottom line, it takes a lot of energy to digest a large calorie dense meal regardless of the macronutrient distribution. I typically feel tired after a large meal. Same thing applies here as it did with a high fat meal. More calories require more time, energy and blood to get the job done.

Relaxation: Finally, here is my conclusion. What do you typically do after Thanksgiving dinner? If I had to bet it would consist of sitting on the couch watching football. Not just football but usually lousy football seeing that Detroit and Dallas always play on Thanksgiving. Ok I have no room to talk being a Bills fan but seriously, just the act of relaxation is what I would attribute most if not all of the responsibility for causing that after dinner need to nap.

Conclusion: Fiction, turkey does not make you tired

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.