First day in single ply squat suit

Chicken_hawk

Pumped
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
EG Cash
So after much ado and 11 weeks of waiting my size 50 super centurian was delivered on Friday. I have moved heavy squatting to Saturdays so I could take the extra time getting geared up. I knew from a few rounds now with my shirt a bit of what to expect. I knew that around 1/3 of the way down the suit would start to kick in but after that I was unsure of what the experience would be.

My third bench session on Thursday went well so I was confident on my approach. I am not worrying about getting a touch or depth right away rather each week I'll up the weight and feel the groove a bit deeper till that happens. This will give my CNS and joints time to adapt as well as giving me time with the learning curve.

So, I did a typical warm up of
135x5
225x5
315x2
365x1
Then put just my suit on with no belt or wraps... This was an ordeal, but only took about 10 minutes for my first time. Although I did pay for it in perspiration. I had the bar loaded with 405 which is a confortable weight for 8 or so reps... More if I had any conditioning as it is a long way from my 600lb best. Anyway, I sunk down and felt the suit kicked in around 1/3 depth but tried to get each one deeper. The real issues is that when the suit kicks in you slow way down and lose lateral stability.

I repeated the process with 455x3 and besides the bar slipping on my back it felt the same. I was able to get each rep deeper, but no beyond a half squat. For my last set I loaded 495 and got just a bit deeper on the third but still a bit wobbly. Overall, it was a good day and fairly easy since I wasn't able to do much work, but I wanted to just feel it out and evaluate the situation.

Next time I will warm up to 405 then the suit up for 455. I suspect I will need to get closer to six to get to depth, but I need to work on stability all the way there so I will take it slow. I still have my volume day to get some work in, but what people don't realize is that your current raw Max soon becomes the bottom end of your work sets and your body is not ready for that right out of the gate.

Overall, I am liking the challenge and it's fun to use bigger weights. I feel like I can be really competitive in single ply, particularly as a master's lifter.

Oh and btw, shoulder and hips feel fine

Hawk

Its all about adaptation! That suit is a restriction right out of the gate. It's like the very first time you used knee wraps, they where just in the way until you figured out how to control this "more stable, restricted ROM". Once you adapt, you'll try to figure out how it ever felt so foreign. Lol

Its all about adaptation! That suit is a restriction right out of the gate. It's like the very first time you used knee wraps, they where just in the way until you figured out how to control this "more stable, restricted ROM". Once you adapt, you'll try to figure out how it ever felt so foreign. Lol
TSizemoreThanks brother. I appreciate the words of wisdom. I'm not good at much but, I have a knack for these sorts of things so while I don't have a clue I am loving the challenge. But, knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel is good to hear.

Hawk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.