GMO Mosquitoes headed your way?

T-bar

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash

750 million genetically engineered mosquitoes approved for release in Florida Keys

(CNN)A plan to release over 750 million genetically modified mosquitoes into the Florida Keys in 2021 and 2022 received final approval from local authorities, against the objection of many local residents and a coalition of environmental advocacy groups. The proposal had already won state and federal approval.

"With all the urgent crises facing our nation and the State of Florida — the Covid-19 pandemic, racial injustice, climate change — the administration has used tax dollars and government resources for a Jurassic Park experiment," said Jaydee Hanson, policy director for the International Center for Technology Assessment and Center for Food Safety, in a statement released Wednesday.

"Now the Monroe County Mosquito Control District has given the final permission needed. What could possibly go wrong? We don't know, because EPA unlawfully refused to seriously analyze environmental risks, now without further review of the risks, the experiment can proceed," she added.

Approved by the Environment Protection Agency in May, the pilot project is designed to test if a genetically modified mosquito is a viable alternative to spraying insecticides to control the Aedes aegypti. It's a species of mosquito that carries several deadly diseases, such as Zika, dengue, chikungunya and yellow fever.

The mosquito, named OX5034, has been altered to produce female offspring that die in the larval stage, well before hatching and growing large enough to bite and spread disease. Only the female mosquito bites for blood, which she needs to mature her eggs. Males feed only on nectar, and are thus not a carrier for disease.
The mosquito is also approved to be released into Harris County, Texas, beginning in 2021, according to Oxitec, the US-owned, British-based company that developed the genetically modified organism (GMO).

Care to guess who is behind funding this project? Believe it or not it's The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

hmmm its odd but mosquitoes dying before passing disease is a good thing, esp in places like africa

mixed feelings tbh

I read about this and watched a documentary on these new GMO mosquitos and it sounds good.

I'm a fan. But I'm also one of those guys who thinks people are becoming obese and getting sick because they eat a shitload of carbs, drink like there's no tomorrow, and don't exercise; not because they are eating animals or consuming things with gluten. But that's just my crazy out of touch privileged male mindset.

Wonder if nature will find a way to alter their experiment over time. None knows what the final outcome will be when messing with and altering nature.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest threads

Back