Mad Referrer
Jacked Immortal
EG Auction Sniper
VIP Member
Shout Master
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
To bring some order to the mayhem and feel more confident at the gym, it's helpful to know the basic code of conduct for gym-goers - easy but important things you can do to keep everyone, including yourself, safe and happy.

The gym can be an intimidating place. Besides the grunting and the weights dropping, there is a secret code of conduct that is totally foreign to any newcomer on what to do and not to do. These rules of etiquette aren’t just for newbies! We see a lot of “veterans” who completely disregard them or just simply aren’t aware of what they are doing. So whether it’s your 1st or 500th time in the gym, it would serve you well to peruse this article.

4929-4.jpg

1. Pick up after yourself

This is listed first for a reason. Even if you do nothing else right, please, at the very least, put your stuff away. Leaving weights, kettlebells, foam rollers, mats, or other equipment around is a safety hazard in a busy space. Additionally, if you leave your plates racked, your dumbbells on a bench, or your towel on a machine, it sends a signal that the equipment is occupied, and people will not feel like they can use that equipment. Finally, it’s just rude! The gym is a public space. It’s terribly inconsiderate not to leave it in the same condition you found it.

2. Don’t Hog Equipment

A communal space like the weight room means everyone has to share the available resources. One of the worst things you can be in the gym is an equipment hog. To ensure that you’re being an upstanding citizen of the weight room, try to work with only the equipment you need at the present time.

In practical terms, this could mean not using a bench to rest your jacket or water bottle on if you’re doing a standing exercise with dumbbells. Alternatively, occupying a squat rack to perform an exercise you could do elsewhere is a bad look. And while some exercise techniques, like supersets or drop sets, necessitate using multiple sets of dumbbells back-to-back, don’t start a dumbbell collection at your workstation for no reason. When you need a new pair, put the ones you’ve got back where they belong.

3. Respect personal space

4929-4-1.jpg

Gyms get crowded, especially during the first few months of the year. But no matter how many people you're battling, you should still make an effort to respect everyone's personal space. Not only is it uncomfortable to exercise in close proximity with a stranger, but it's dangerous -- one failed attempt at an overhead press could spell broken feet for both of you.

4. Use a Towel / Wipe down equipment

Cleanliness should be a given when sharing equipment, right? Hope so, but we’ve probably all seen the person who doesn’t use a towel and/or leaves a big sweaty puddle on the bench before they run off. This is gross.

Don’t be that person! Use a towel (or bring one if one isn’t provided), and be sure to wipe down all surfaces your skin touches when you’re done with the equipment. Any facility should have wipes or a spray bottle with disinfectant throughout the gym that you can use to spray and wipe down a piece of equipment. Not sure? Ask the staff!

5. Choose Good Timing When Starting a Conversation

Talking at the gym is okay. It's a social place. But, keep in mind that some people don't like to chat much during their workout. If you choose to strike up a conversation, there are a couple things you will want to pay attention to. First, watch for uninviting body language—avoiding eye contact, intense focus, turning to face away, etc. Second, when someone has their headphones in, it is typically an indicator they are not open to talking. And third, give folks a break when they're in the middle of their set. Wait until they're done and have a moment to catch their breath before you strike up a conversation.

6. Selfies and videos: try to be discreet about them
We know you want to take them and you should be able to. If nothing else, they’re a good way to track your progress. But there are limits. Keep it to the change rooms or on less busy days when you’re not getting in the way of other gym members. The general rule of thumb here is: do what you want — just don’t infringe on anyone else’s gym experience.

Don’t film anyone else without their consent. There are a lot of layers to this, but the quickest way to consider it is if you would want someone else filming your training, sending it to their friends, and posting it on social with their commentary on why you shouldn’t be doing what you’re doing. We bet that your answer is no.

7. Give advice only when asked

4929-4-2.jpg

It’s perfectly fine (and kind!) to introduce yourself to new members or people you keep running into or seeing at the gym. However, it’s important to only give these new friends workout advice if they ask you. Avoid telling them things like their form is wrong or they should be running faster; comments like these only make people feel judged and unwelcome.

This also applies if someone gives you unsolicited advice. You can just nod politely and move on while continuing to exercise like you were before. If you still have issues with your well-intentioned neighbor, you can always ask a staff member for help. And if you’re unsure about any of these rules, or you’re looking for exercise or form-related tips, your gym’s staff is here to assist you!

8. Don’t interrupt a Set

Lifting heavy weights properly takes more than strength. If you see someone performing an exercise — whether it’s a max-effort squat or a simple biceps curl — don’t interrupt them until they’re finished working.

Not only is it generally considered rude, but nobody wants to be distracted while they’re trying to focus on lifting with good form. Beyond that, you may even startle the person and compromise their performance or safety. If you see someone working near a piece of equipment you’re interested in, or you have a question for them, bite your tongue until they’ve racked their weights.

9. Stay Off Your Phone

Be present. The gym should be the period of the day where we get to turn off distractions and really focus on the body and mind. It's ok to take a call or text, if you need to, as long as it isn't distracting to other gym goers. But, sitting on a piece of equipment while having a long phone or text conversation is highly frowned upon. There may be others waiting to use the equipment. So, proper etiquette is to step away or outside to use the phone. Free up the equipment and come back when the conversation is over.

The bottom line

Gym etiquette really comes down to what we all learned in kindergarten or before: Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Treat your gym the way you want your gym to be treated by all those other folks who are there with you. Be nice. Be neat. Be respectful. Help build a community of supportive fitness enthusiasts.

so many dont have it

Stay off your phone doesnt work these days.. thats where i log my work lout and get the right song for my specific set lol and im not gonna not answer my wife's text haha . (Who am i kidding no one texts anymore , we use chat lol)

Myself and another older dog stripped down a bar someone left loaded tonight at the gym. No respect.

Myself and another older dog stripped down a bar someone left loaded tonight at the gym. No respect.
kazman68One of my biggest peeves.

Another thats at the top is resting on machines inbetween sets.......GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Yes, sitting on a machine texting for 10 minutes...GRRRR....in agreement.
kazman68I walked away from my bench once just ta go get a drink and I come back seeing a kid striping plates off my bar and putting them on his. I was like "Hey....where you goin' with that"? He said he was goona use it and I said "Well....you can use it when I'm done".....he left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.