Help on a family Issue

RockShawn

DEDICATION AND DESIRE
Jacked Immortal
Mutated
EG Cash
This morning started out great. Got my workout in and got the kids all up to get ready for school and stepped in the shower. That's when it all fell to shit.

My wife comes in holding our bathroom scales (not sure when she took them out) crying her eyes out. Apparently our oldest daughter (12) who isn't obese by any means but isn't a stick either, freaked out and broke down cause her weight went up from yesterday. Now in my head I'm thinking WTF. A. I've told her not weight everyday and obsess and B. we had the water retention talk and how that causes weight to fluctuate. So now I'm getting blamed cause I'm on a prep diet and exercising 3 times a day for our daughters obsessive actions toward her weight. That she is looking at me and trying to copy me and blah blah blah.

Now, something you should know about my wife, she was horribly anorexic in college and only slightly better when we met. I've slowly, over the course of 15 years gotten her to change her thoughts on food, but she still doesn't eat right. I've tried to share a whole picture with her on diet and she pick out what she wants and goes to extremes with it for a week or two then gives up cause she didn't loose any weight. WEIGHT - WTF I don't know how many times I've had this discussion that it's not the scales but the mirror. That BBers their height weigh 300 + pounds but look effing great in the mirror. It's all still a number game to them.

I'm at a real crossroad here. I can't allow my training to create a monster outta my daughters (yeah I have another one that's 9 and a son 5) I try my best to not talk about what I'm doing, but they watch, cause they see the fat coming off me, or me getting bigger. I started all this 3 years ago with one thing in mind, and that was to be a good example to my family on healthy eating and exercise. The contests came about cause I got some great results in my transformation. But now I feel like I'm being destructive to them. Causing them to go to extremes instead of just learning and applying. They think they can get where I am in a couple weeks instead of accepting the fact that it's taken years. Or the fact I've been on supplemental Test and various other compounds.

I say all this to plead for help. If any of you have been through similar situations or are in them now, I need help and support. This has just completely deflated me. Guilt is so heavy right now I'm contemplating walking away, but I never want my kids to see me as a quitter, as a has been or a failure. I've made sure that they are my first priority through all this. If I miss a workout or scheduled meal cause of volleyball or baseball or a concert, then I miss it and I don't say a damn word about it. I want them to know that they are far more important to me than a workout. I learned that the hard way through my first prep. I don't miss games or practice or church or whatever for the sake of bodybuilding cause my first priority is to them.

Anyways, words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

That's a tough one brother, and I feel for ya. I really don't know what to say besides whatever your final decision is, the way you approach this problem, use bucketloads of patience.I know the frantic feeling you must have, you feel like you should do something, you have to. First tho, may I suggest, you spend some quiet time watching your thoughts going through your head and quietly reflect on this situation, waiting for an answer from within.

No one knows the intricacies of your situation better than you. Reach out to your daughter and let her know you're there for her first.Hopefully your wife will see the wisdom of whatever path you follow to address this issue.

From your post I can tell you've put a lot of thought into this already.Show your daughter that you love her and she means more to you than the whole world.You're a good person and I think you'll do fine if you just follow your true, inner instincts.Sorry I couldn't be of better help.We're pullin' for ya bro.

Thanks Hanzo, I know this is a heavy subject HG has been a real support and wanna say thanks to LBM for reaching out to me. It's such new territory for me. No irrational decisions are being made that's for sure. I just want what's best for them. I'm just heartbroken for my baby girl right now.

Thats an arduous situation. I feel for you man. I cant quite give any advice, my family went the opposite way. When i started to eat right and lift they got fat. I sincerely everything works out. Remember there are always later shows. If you have to post pone the show its not the worst thing

Alright Rock, you got a real problem on your hands, no reason to Sugar coat it!
You're girl is obsessing, and you're obviously some kind of catalyst for her. The problem isn't what you're doing, it's how she perceives it. You aren't doing anything wrong. You are eating healthy food. You are eating often. She needs to know that for sure, so she doesn't get the impression of some bad eating habits that might turn into something serious later down the road. Do you get on the scale everyday? If so, make sure not to do it while she's watching. Make sure she understands you are training for a contest.
By no means should she be copying you, in the healthy eating sure, as long as it's enough food and often. But, don't let her try and do 3 workouts a day. Hell, don't let her do any workouts! Her body is growing, and changing. She has to know that, and that it is normal for a pre-teen girl to have those fluctuations. Your wife on the other hand, she's coming from an extreme side of the flip side of this coin. Anorexia! It's debilitating, and extremely dangerous. If she's still recovering, then she's scared to death to see warning signs (that might just be typical pre teen drama) of what she went through.
All in all, Open and honest communication is going to really help you out here. And, it sounds like you are already an open book to your family.....and that they know that. Kudos to you, keep it up and this issue should work itself out with a little bit of effort.

morrey said:
Thats an arduous situation. I feel for you man. I cant quite give any advice, my family went the opposite way. When i started to eat right and lift they got fat. I sincerely everything works out. Remember there are always later shows. If you have to post pone the show its not the worst thing
morrey
Yes there are always other shows. I'll be ready for this one and one of the driving forces to making this show is so I have the whole summer to do what I want with my family and spend more time with my kids. I talked with HomeGrown a lot this morning, I think I'm gonna ask my oldest if she wants to start lifting weights with me. shes actually been bugging me about it. in fact when my cardio changed to the evenings she started running with me. She's motivated but she's hormonal. My family wants to be that "in shape" family, it's just they freak when it doesn't happen over night.

Thanks Morrey

RockShawn said:
morrey said:
morrey
Yes there are always other shows. I'll be ready for this one and one of the driving forces to making this show is so I have the whole summer to do what I want with my family and spend more time with my kids. I talked with HomeGrown a lot this morning, I think I'm gonna ask my oldest if she wants to start lifting weights with me. shes actually been bugging me about it. in fact when my cardio changed to the evenings she started running with me. She's motivated but she's hormonal. My family wants to be that "in shape" family, it's just they freak when it doesn't happen over night.

Thanks Morrey

Yeah i think that is a good idea. More family time is good. I think lifting with your daughter is an awesome idea. Show her how much work it takes to achieve those desired changes. I know its a little different but my father and I really bonded when he first took me to the gym with him

RockShawn said:
I talked with HomeGrown a lot this morning, I think I'm gonna ask my oldest if she wants to start lifting weights with me. shes actually been bugging me about it. in fact when my cardio changed to the evenings she started running with me.
RockShawn
Awesome man.My daughter is 18 now, and in college.My boys are 14 & 15.When my kids wanted to start running with me I said heck yeah.My boys and I wrestle and try submissions on eachother all the time.There's nothing better than spending qt with your kids and instilling in them the value of exercise and staying in shape.You've definitely got a handle on this bro.

well well as a father of three girls and a husband to a wife.. This is what I have to say on this subject

1 great idea getting her involved in working out
2 I think your wife maybe adding to this issue due to her past issues..
3 I am sure you have done this but explain to her that for women it does not matter what a fucking scale says it is how the body looks.

I have a 12 year old girl who is 5'6 135 lbs she is build like a little brick shit house. but it took us forever to get her to understand that she is just a big girl she will never be a skinny little shit like some other girls. ANd to embrace it..

Flip side I have a 10 year old who is 5'4 103 lbs and she freaks out if she cannot see her abs she says she has to workout or start a better diet. LOL kills me. SHe is a gymnast My son he could give two shits that is why boys are so easy.

Moral of my story is you have to take her in your arms and explain to her that she is beautiful no matter what the fucking scale says. OR WHAT OTHER FUCKS SAY FOR THAT MATTER. Some women are built to be thick there is nothing she can do about it... But dont get depressed and make a good thing a bad thing..

I am not much for words when it comes to caring things so I hope you understand what I am trying to convey.

ODINSBLOOD said:
well well as a father of three girls and a husband to a wife.. This is what I have to say on this subject

3 I am sure you have done this but explain to her that for women it does not matter what a fucking scale says it is how the body looks.

I have a 12 year old girl who is 5'6 135 lbs she is build like a little brick shit house. but it took us forever to get her to understand that she is just a big girl she will never be a skinny little shit like some other girls. ANd to embrace it..

Flip side I have a 10 year old who is 5'4 103 lbs and she freaks out if she cannot see her abs she says she has to workout or start a better diet. LOL kills me. SHe is a gymnast My son he could give two shits that is why boys are so easy.

Moral of my story is you have to take her in your arms and explain to her that she is beautiful no matter what the fucking scale says. OR WHAT OTHER FUCKS SAY FOR THAT MATTER. Some women are built to be thick there is nothing she can do about it... But dont get depressed and make a good thing a bad thing..

I am not much for words when it comes to caring things so I hope you understand what I am trying to convey.
ODINSBLOODI gotcha bro. My daughter is same stats as yours. She's a perfectionist to boot and now that this bothers her, well, hell is knocking at the door. I don't think anyone has said anything to her. I mean she is absolutely beautiful, just not a stick. And she sees her stick friends eat whatever the hell they want and stay a stick. This is deeply internal. And for the record I do tell her how pretty she is all the time. Sincerely. there is nothing wrong with her body. she's just not convinced.

RockShawn said:
ODINSBLOOD said:

ODINSBLOODI gotcha bro. My daughter is same stats as yours. She's a perfectionist to boot and now that this bothers her, well, hell is knocking at the door. I don't think anyone has said anything to her. I mean she is absolutely beautiful, just not a stick. And she sees her stick friends eat whatever the hell they want and stay a stick. This is deeply internal. And for the record I do tell her how pretty she is all the time. Sincerely. there is nothing wrong with her body. she's just not convinced.

I have no doubt in my mind you dont tell her that she is an amazingly beautiful young lady. But I had kind of the same issue and my wife and I had to sit down and really explain to her how beautiful she really was... And how some of the most beautiful women of all time were and still are thick women. It has nothing to do with you being a bad parent brother.. It has everything to do with her being a girl in this very weird time of her life... It is actually sad because no matter how hard you and I try and understand we never will because we are not girls and for men you and myself we want to fix it and make it go away and for everyone to feel safe... DUDE trust me I struggle with this shit ED.. ANd I am a very abrasive person.. For me it really changed when we had a little daddy daughters day and we went out to eat and I explained to her what was what.

and the part about what people say. I was refering to the other kids at school it seems kids today are worse than I was 30 something years ago.. Like calling girls whores skanks and cunts... I about cocked this little girls dad out because all I wanted is for her to say she was sorry and understand that was not nice behavior from a young lady. And the dad was like well I cant control what my kids say and do... blah blah blah.. period being a parent is hard being a parent, too young teenage ladies is even fuicking harder...

ODINSBLOOD said:
RockShawn said:
ODINSBLOOD said:

I have no doubt in my mind you dont tell her that she is an amazingly beautiful young lady. But I had kind of the same issue and my wife and I had to sit down and really explain to her how beautiful she really was... And how some of the most beautiful women of all time were and still are thick women. It has nothing to do with you being a bad parent brother.. It has everything to do with her being a girl in this very weird time of her life... It is actually sad because no matter how hard you and I try and understand we never will because we are not girls and for men you and myself we want to fix it and make it go away and for everyone to feel safe... DUDE trust me I struggle with this shit ED.. ANd I am a very abrasive person.. For me it really changed when we had a little daddy daughters day and we went out to eat and I explained to her what was what.

and the part about what people say. I was refering to the other kids at school it seems kids today are worse than I was 30 something years ago.. Like calling girls whores skanks and cunts... I about cocked this little girls dad out because all I wanted is for her to say she was sorry and understand that was not nice behavior from a young lady. And the dad was like well I cant control what my kids say and do... blah blah blah.. period being a parent is hard being a parent, too young teenage ladies is even fuicking harder...
I hope you didn't take that the wrong way. I wasn't saying you thought I didn't tell her. I guess I just never posted that I do. And yeah i was just saying I don't think she's had any of her friends or kids at school tease her. at least she hasn't said so. they all say how beautiful she is. It's truely all internal.

I don't do near enough daddy daughter dates.

BTW I'd cold cocked that dad!

RockShawn said:
ODINSBLOOD said:
RockShawn said:
ODINSBLOOD said:

I hope you didn't take that the wrong way. I wasn't saying you thought I didn't tell her. I guess I just never posted that I do. And yeah i was just saying I don't think she's had any of her friends or kids at school tease her. at least she hasn't said so. they all say how beautiful she is. It's truely all internal.

I don't do near enough daddy daughter dates.

BTW I'd cold cocked that dad!

NAh I didnt take it the wrong way.. i was saying that I know you are a good parent bro... and daddy daughter dates are crucial. Just like personal time with your wife. little girls need that from their fathers.. They NEED the affirmation from a male figure to tell them they are beautiful and make them feel special.... ALl will be good bro just continue to pound that shit into her head she is beautiful the way she is and that she doesnt want to be one of those ugly skinny bitches anyway lol thats what i told mine lol hahahaha

Dude you've got a bad situation. I haven't read all the responses on this but as a father and stepfather to a total of five girls from the ages of 25 to 7, girls are way different than boys. She's 12 brother and at that age they are so damn emo, I've got two that are grown and they've both at a younger age made the I'm fat stage but it passes, I'd love to tell you this is gonna happen in your case but I can only pray , for your sake it does. I halos have a 16 yr old niece , now she on the other hand obsesses about her weight because her whole family is fat and unhealthy and she's afraid for good reason but at 16 is really good at keeping it in check. Man your in a bad spot bro ! Maybe you should not blame yourself, be her father and talk to her till your blue in the face.... She's twelve to them you do not understand, that is the way Tweens are .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.