How serious do you take this stuff these days?

Chicken_hawk

Pumped
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
EG Cash
So, I'm rewatching GOT while waiting for the ribs to cook this Sunday afternoon and just feel like randomly posting. Anyway, I wonder how many others while still enjoying training just don't prioritize it the same as I once did. I was such a tool in regards to this stuff even being someone I would now ridicule. Not for clothes or what I said, but just how much of my life and energy I dedicated to thinking I was going to be somebody. As if some plastic trophy or bigger arms would make me happy or bring success. Truth is I was blinded by the sport and a lack of reality.

Anyway, why I bust the chops of the young me's on the boards I have a lot more patience for them in the gym as I remember being like them. Fortunately, and unfortunately bbing was one of the ways my insecurities expressed themselves nearly leading to a divorce. Thanks to an awesome wife and God's grace my life changed and I had new priorities. That being said, I switched to powerlifting and remembering that going to gym was meant to be fun.

So, while I still plan to compete from time to time, I remember to have fun and keep it real. I try not to miss a day, but these day 4 days isn't that hard compared to six. I take half the gear and don't care about calories on most days. Maybe, it's me but I suspect others have had a similar experience.
Hawk

Good post!

I still count calories, I still weigh all my food, and myself daily. Do I stress if and when I miss a workout.... Nope. I've learned to cope. I've learned a little bit of balance, and I've learned to enjoy the workouts again instead of them being obligatory. I still run a cycle now and then depending on my goals, and my wife still hates it when I do! Lol. She doesn't see any reason for anything more then TRT for me,...... But, I do like the Tren! 😉

Good post!

I still count calories, I still weigh all my food, and myself daily. Do I stress if and when I miss a workout.... Nope. I've learned to cope. I've learned a little bit of balance, and I've learned to enjoy the workouts again instead of them being obligatory. I still run a cycle now and then depending on my goals, and my wife still hates it when I do! Lol. She doesn't see any reason for anything more then TRT for me,...... But, I do like the Tren! 😉
TSizemore

I suspect that it means something different for each of us. One guy counts calories and another still does meets. But they bothered see it for what it is, a hobby they are passionate about but not the meaning of life.

Hawk

I'm not sure what GOT. But yeah, as I've gotten older its still important to me but I don't kill myself over missing something here and there. I'm not making money off this.

I'm not sure what GOT. But yeah, as I've gotten older its still important to me but I don't kill myself over missing something here and there. I'm not making money off this.
Jinko
Sorry my man, I falsely assume everyone is a sci fi geek like me. GOT is game of thrones.
And like you I don't make money from time in the gym, on the contrary it costs me lol

Hawk

Seems as we get older our priorities do change, I would never miss a day when I was younger or I would actually get depressed. I had many offers to compete, in the military, after the military, my younger brother competed and when I was in my prime told me bro, you got the genetic in the family and could get your pro card. Funny thing is when I was spot on at the time or in my younger years, I never felt like competing, the competition was in the gym 5 days a week me against me!! If I left the gym exhausted but feeling good and having lifted some of my heaviest weight then I achieved my goal.
Since I have become a little bit older and would have to compete at the seniors level and I do look back and regret not noticing the arsenal I had at my disposal and the places it might have taken me. But again I became a single parent and that is the other side of the coin, Steve Michilak (spelling) and I talked a few times and he was always telling me I did the right thing, easing my grip on the Iron so that I could raise my kids, my kids came before anything so there was never a doubt as to who would win the fight for my time, my children or the iron.
Here I am remarried after almost raising 2 children on my own and wouldn't trade a thing for it... Sorry long winded brothers but you know a little more about Thor.. 🙂, HAMMER TIME 😉 LOL

Seems as we get older our priorities do change, I would never miss a day when I was younger or I would actually get depressed. I had many offers to compete, in the military, after the military, my younger brother competed and when I was in my prime told me bro, you got the genetic in the family and could get your pro card. Funny thing is when I was spot on at the time or in my younger years, I never felt like competing, the competition was in the gym 5 days a week me against me!! If I left the gym exhausted but feeling good and having lifted some of my heaviest weight then I achieved my goal.
Since I have become a little bit older and would have to compete at the seniors level and I do look back and regret not noticing the arsenal I had at my disposal and the places it might have taken me. But again I became a single parent and that is the other side of the coin, Steve Michilak (spelling) and I talked a few times and he was always telling me I did the right thing, easing my grip on the Iron so that I could raise my kids, my kids came before anything so there was never a doubt as to who would win the fight for my time, my children or the iron.
Here I am remarried after almost raising 2 children on my own and wouldn't trade a thing for it... Sorry long winded brothers but you know a little more about Thor.. 🙂, HAMMER TIME 😉 LOL
Thor
Much respect for your choice and your transparency brother. And by priorities, you nailed it. My priorities had gone askew, but my wife, my three boys and even my job are more important than training these days and life is good. I've actually witnessed lives destroyed indirectly because of the iron game and all the attention it can bring. I am glad you weren't a statistic.

Hawk

Much respect for your choice and your transparency brother. And by priorities, you nailed it. My priorities had gone askew, but my wife, my three boys and even my job are more important than training these days and life is good. I've actually witnessed lives destroyed indirectly because of the iron game and all the attention it can bring. I am glad you weren't a statistic.

Hawk
Chicken_hawk

I have the same respect for you C_H and TS you brothers are always great to talk to. It is great to have brothers on here whom we can relate to and that understand or have been in your shoes. Appreciate you guys! I think all of us go astray when we are younger and so focused on one thing, we kind of miss everything else going on around us (life). Thanks again C-H.

Perspective, reality, and balance... That's how to win at life, Thor! Nice!

i find that while i still take it somewhat seriously, as i get older i'm dealing with a lot more inflammation/chronic injury so i'm somewhat limited in the way that i train, at least at times. so it's tough to be on a straight linear progression program. so i have to have some peaks and valleys. Just being consistently in there is important to me though, mentally. even though physically i could probably benefit from an extended period of time off.

i find that while i still take it somewhat seriously, as i get older i'm dealing with a lot more inflammation/chronic injury so i'm somewhat limited in the way that i train, at least at times. so it's tough to be on a straight linear progression program. so i have to have some peaks and valleys. Just being consistently in there is important to me though, mentally. even though physically i could probably benefit from an extended period of time off.
R2D2
Thanks for chiming in R2. We'll, in my mid 40s I definitely benefit from a deload every fourth week. It helps me mentally just as much. If by the third week I still have gas I add some volume to make sure my deload is justified.
I'd also recommend the Barbell Medicine podcast and YouTube channel as these guys use real science and combine it with training and pain management.

Hawk

wanting 2 take it more serious extreme than ever, gotta get over obstacles

wanting 2 take it more serious extreme than ever, gotta get over obstacles
GRIM
It's amazing how life outside the gym affects life inside the gym.

Hawk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest threads

Back