jim wendlers 5 3 1 or the beyond 5 3 1

krustus

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
any of you guys ever use this program... i'm thinking of switching up and going this route?... would like to hear from any one who's tried it though..

I did it for a year straight!!!

Set it up right, and gains are great!! Would highly recommend this workout routine. I did the 4 day split and just added an arm day in on a fifth day.

i got a pdf book of the new program ... i'll see if it will load here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

531 took me from a 315 deadlift to 545 and a 315 squat to 455 for 5. highly recommended! was switching to the cube since all the power lifters here prefer that program, but just had a slipped disc. no more squats and deads for me prolly ever

nextgen sorry to hear about that back... i'm gettin up there in age and have to constantly monitor how my body is doing to keep from being hurt all the time... so i still squat and dead but hardly ever push them to the max...

i push on my machine squat pretty hard and the bulgarian split squat ...

krustus said:
nextgen sorry to hear about that back... i'm gettin up there in age and have to constantly monitor how my body is doing to keep from being hurt all the time... so i still squat and dead but hardly ever push them to the max...
i push on my machine squat pretty hard and the bulgarian split squat ...
krustus
Im right with you Krustus. I don't go over 315 on a squat. And will never again my hips feel like their going to explode and I end up at the chiropractor. We just do what we can.....

Never heard of it. I dont really care much for Strength gains. I always go with high reps 10-15 with my sets.

4ever... 10-15 reps are ok...imho.... but not all the time.. a stronger muscle has more potential for growth... so as you get stronger and then got to the 10-15 reps you should be able to use more weight on those rep ranges too

krustus said:
4ever... 10-15 reps are ok...imho.... but not all the time.. a stronger muscle has more potential for growth... so as you get stronger and then got to the 10-15 reps you should be able to use more weight on those rep ranges too
krustus
Makes sense. Ill have to change it up sometime.

I've used it for close to 3 years now and love it. I had a semi lay-off for a couple of years do to health and when I decided to train regularly again I started the 5-3-1.

It's been a GODSEND for me!!!

I'm 40+ and went from(after the layoff) barely being able to squat 230lb parallel for 1rep to 340lb x 10reps on my last squat workout.

I've had slow and steady with the program. I don't follow the training plan with 4 or even 3 days/week, but I extend the number of days between works by whether I feel recovered or not(and my work schedule often interferes too).

But I have made steady progress.

I also have modified the 5-3-1 to be 5-3-10(or 5-5-10, 3-3-10 depending on which week your in).
By hitting 10 reps on the last set, I have(I think) reduced the chance for injury, since I'm no long 20 years old and bulletproof!!!

I did max out about 1 year ago at 400lb on squat and 500lb on deads just to see where I was, and will max periodically still.
But other than that, I'm comfortable staying with my modified version for injury prevention.
I'm not a huge guy either, about 5'9", 196lbs, but it has worked to my satisfaction and continues to do so.

btw, I've always liked using heavy weights and never really saw much gains, for me, with lighter weights(I'm not knocking it though, I know everyone's body responds differently).

Over the years, I've done tons of heavy partials(half-reps&quarter reps), powerfactor static holds, etc. on more than just the 4 powerlifts but on curls, flyes, whatever!!!
But I'm sticking with 5-3-1, I like it.

I hope this helps.
Sorry for the long answer, lol 8)

Even though I already posted on this......I'll say it again....Cannot beat the 5/3/1 method (except maybe 5x5 or DC method).

One of the two best powerlifting routines I have ran. I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a strength training routine. I have the Ebook for it and the cube method which is another favors of mine. I will try and load then later today from my PC. Wendler is my favorite of the two but it's pretty common knowledge among serious power lifters that both are exception routines.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.