Nutrient Absorbtion Question

RockShawn

DEDICATION AND DESIRE
Jacked Immortal
Mutated
EG Cash
When are nutrients actually absorbed and used by the body? Is it in the stomach, or the intestines? Thought here is: we place a lot of emphasis on Nutrient timing, but if a meal I eat at 7am doesn't actually deliver nutrients to my body till it reaches the intestines, than this would have an impact on nutrient timing more than we think. I may need to eat pre workout carbs at 7am and workout at 5pm.

Nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine but can be adsorbed over a 12 hour period especially for a larger meal. Nutrient timing is a thing of the past Rock. The only thing you should ever worry about is about pure carbs. Having protein or fat with carbs will drastically slow down absorption but pure carbs (gatorade, candy, glucose tabs) will be absorbed quickly and should be consumed 15 minutes pre exercise to maximize energy levels. I was a nutrition science major but switched to exercise physiology just in case you think im talking out my ass

morrey said:
Nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine but can be adsorbed over a 12 hour period especially for a larger meal. Nutrient timing is a thing of the past Rock. The only thing you should ever worry about is about pure carbs. Having protein or fat with carbs will drastically slow down absorption but pure carbs (gatorade, candy, glucose tabs) will be absorbed quickly and should be consumed 15 minutes pre exercise to maximize energy levels. I was a nutrition science major but switched to exercise physiology just in case you think im talking out my ass
morrey Nope I concur with what you said. I am working on my nutrition and wellness certification myself.

morrey said:
morrey
Nah, nah man, we believe you, as long as you're not talking politics. ;D

Where you been buddy?

Hanzo said:
Nah, nah man, we believe you, as long as you're not talking politics. ;D

Where you been buddy?
Hanzo
hahah 😉

miss you too Hanz. Life has just been keeping me real busy: crazy ass women, school, work, volunteering, and just trying to enjoy the last few months of college. Im going to start posting up again. I need more gear talk in my life haha I have a few new friends who I know for a fact are using but its like no one wants to be the first one to bring it up lol

Thanks for the replies guys. Now for part two of the question.

When does insulin spike or release. At ingestion, digestion or absorption?

RockShawn said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Now for part two of the question.

When does insulin spike or release. At ingestion, digestion or absorption?
RockShawn
After absorption. If you are having a regular meal with carbs, fats, and protein the insulin release will be slowed and consistent. Depending on the fiber content and the ratio of macros the spike in insulin which is preceded by the spike in glucose in the blood can be anywhere from 15-90 min (ie. a shake of whey protein, coconut oil and oat flour vs. steak, broccoli, brown rice, and macadamia nut oil) remember you will have a spike 15-90 min after but it will still be absorbing for hours later

morrey said:
After absorption. If you are having a regular meal with carbs, fats, and protein the insulin release will be slowed and consistent. Depending on the fiber content and the ratio of macros the spike in insulin which is preceded by the spike in glucose in the blood can be anywhere from 15-90 min (ie. a shake of whey protein, coconut oil and oat flour vs. steak, broccoli, brown rice, and macadamia nut oil) remember you will have a spike 15-90 min after but it will still be absorbing for hours later
morreyThat's a lot more in depth than what my answer was gonna be:............After Absorption

Ok. Sorry if these are noob questions. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around some of this. I mean I have a coach that knows this stuff and plans accordingly, I just like knowing too.

RockShawn said:
Ok. Sorry if these are noob questions. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around some of this. I mean I have a coach that knows this stuff and plans accordingly, I just like knowing too.
RockShawn
No worries. Thats what boards like these are for 😉

RockShawn said:
RockShawnNo worries, Rock! Having great trainers is one thing....but, most trainers don't like to give reasoning behind what they do and why...If they do, then they give away their purpose and neccessity. (not saying HG is purposely keeping things from you, just some trainers mindsets)

Right. I'm really interested in this on a family level. I fight insulin resistance and so do my daughters. We are working on some stuff but I just need a better understanding of how and when food affects the body and release of hormones. I also ole knowing for myself too. Doesn't mean I don't trust my trainer and honestly I do not question him. I may ask questions about the plan but I trust him 100% and know his reputation is on the stage with me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.