Mad Referrer
Jacked Immortal
EG Auction Sniper
VIP Member
Shout Master
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
Can you handle training like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sergio Oliva or Lou Ferrigno? These legends set a new standard for muscle mass and training frequency.

WORKOUT SUMMARY​

Workout Description​

The 1970s was a dynamic era in bodybuilding. Physiques grew in size but also in personality. Many notable legends etched their legacies upon the world of bodybuilding during this decade:
It was during this era that training began to aggressively evolve away from full body workouts. Many lifters, including Arnold and Sergio, took the fullbody workout and morphed it into a high volume protocol.
It was not uncommon for these Herculean beasts to train 6 days per week as follows:
  • Monday - Chest and Back
  • Tuesday - Shoulders and Arms
  • Wednesday - Legs
  • Thursday - Chest and Back
  • Friday - Shoulders and Arms
  • Saturday - Legs
  • Sunday - Rest

1970s Bodybuilding Routine​

The following workout is based upon the structure listed above. Make no bones about it: this is a brutal, taxing training style. It certainly is not for everyone.
If you consider running a program like this I strongly recommend backing it with plenty of rest and food. If at any time you feel worn down, take a complete week away from the gym.
Understand that this is my variation of a 1970s workout. It's what I would do if I were training using this template.
Note on the Landmine Press. The landmine press is performed with one end of a barbell secured in a corner, perhaps under the middle of a heavy dumbbell. The lifter presses the other end overhead with one arm.
Tuesday
Shoulders and Arms
ExerciseSetsReps
Seated Dumbbell Press310-12
Upright Rows310-15
Bent Over Reverse Fly510-15
Cable Tricep Extensions410-15
Skullcrushers410-12
Barbell Curls48-12
One Arm Cable Curls410-15
Wednesday
Legs
ExerciseSetsReps
Squats56-12
Hack Squats310-12
Leg Extensions310-15
Good Mornings38-10
Leg Curls510-15
Seated Calf Raise412-15
Standing Calf Raise412-15
Thursday
Chest and Back
ExerciseSetsReps
Incline Bench Press38-10
Chest Dips310-15
Dumbbell Flyes510-15
Barbell Row38-10
Lat Pull Down58-12
Seated Cable Row310-15
Plank360 seconds
Dumbbell Side Bend310-12
Friday
Shoulders and Arms
ExerciseSetsReps
Military Press38-10
Side Lateral Raise510-15
Landmine Press310-12
Seated French Press48-10
One Arm Dumbbell Tricep Extension410-12
Seated Dumbbell Curl410-12
EZ Bar Preacher Curls410-12

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.