Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Auction Sniper
EG Freak
Mutated
Board Donator
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
One of my bros, a member of our community at large, has been diagnosed with Guillain–Barré syndrome.

Anyone know anything about this.

In a matter of a day he went from a tingling sensation to paralyzed and can't walk. Currently in the ICU.

Docs haven't offered up much of a prognosis yet.

Never heard of that disease but my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.
Its amazing how fast things in our lives can change.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dowork said:
One of my bros, a member of our community at large, has been diagnosed with Guillain–Barré syndrome.

Anyone know anything about this.

In a matter of a day he went from a tingling sensation to paralyzed and can't walk. Currently in the ICU.

Docs haven't offered up much of a prognosis yet.
doworkTHAT IS NOT GOOD!
I sat on a jury for a case that involved this Guillain-barre....nasty stuff! Her life is ruined because of it. Hands, feet, just curled up and are virtually useless. It only gets worse! Real sorry to hear about it bro. Was there sepsis or an infection of some sort that caused it?

They have discovered any infection as of yet. First thing I thought of was a possible gear related infection.

This woman had her gal bladder removed....in the process the doctor nicked the small intestine. Within 48 hours, the fluid that leaked out caused sepsis, her body started to shrivel up, her life is ruined. She is handicap, can't wipe herself, won't be able to take care of herself. This Guillain Barre is a nasty disease!

Damn. At a loss right now for how this started with him. He's on a ventilator now, until he starts to improve.

man I didn't have this but i've done the paralysis thing, the curled up toes, arms and hands.
The good news is docs are advancing all the time in these fields!

Damn G. That's rough sorry to hear it.

dowork said:
Damn G. That's rough sorry to hear it.
doworkdon't be 😉
point is to never give up...even if the docs do make sure your friend doesn't

Wabbitt said:
What makes you think it's gear related?
Wabbitt
My only thought was that most cases of this are preceded by an infection (thought maybe an infection from non sterile gear). As it turns out, most cases are preceded by a viral infection.

My bro had the flu, really bad case for like 3 weeks. Then his immune system got confused, for lack of a better word, and attacked his nervous system instead of the flu virus. Within 4 days of having tingling toes we was nearly fully paralyzed.

Back during the swine flu outbreak there was an increased rise in this condition. With this current flu season there is also an increased rise.

No known cure, but most people recover to some degree but lots have lasting effects. Not to mention the devastation of muscle atrophy - might have to relearn to walk and other skills.

That's why I was asking. Gear gets such a bad rep for the wrong reasons sometimes.

Oh and I'm sure it's getting some blame in this case too. His family wasn't supportive of his competitive BB'ing. He told the ER docs everything and his family was freakin.

My response to that is always, show me the bodies, give me one single name, oh you don't know of anyone who's died or gotten seriously ill from gear? (Thats I thought smarty) Ok, how about give me one name of someone who's died from alcohol...tobacco...aspirin...or how about the massive list of people who've died of cancer after living a completely healthy lifestyle?

But you know, this stigma will never change, so it's best to not even engage.

the docs couldn't figure out when i was sick, so they blamed supplements.
No science just lack of themselves being able to find a reason.

That's really pathetic. You can't get away with that in many other fields.

Hey, they blamed Chris Benoit hacking his family up on gear, but how many people have done the same thing while not on gear? Not only that, but how many other cases do you know of where someone WAS on gear?

I've heard of it bro as I have a neuro condition and have done a lot of research on various cases. One thing that I have read is it can leave as fast as it came on. There have been cases where people were paralyzed and within a few days they were completely back to normal with all function back. This may not be specific to Guillian-Barre but may be worth reading up a bit. Hope he gets it straightened out bro.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.