Someone cloned my router today

tech123

Pumped
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
So I do IT stuff at home and run a lot of computers, etc. This afternoon, 2 of my Macs started renaming themselves, saying the computer name already existed on the network. About that time, I got a notification from SMS that my security cameras (indoor) were disconnected. At the same time, ESET on my XPS 15 gave an intrusion alert with some ARC vulnerability. I immediately disconnected the power from my router and the little WAP next to it so I could diagnose the issue. But even without power, my SSID was still showing, and my computers were still connected. So I manually forgot that network on ALL of my devices, logged into the AT&T app, reset my SSID and set my password to something ridiculously complex. Then I went through the process of resetting all of my wifi connections to the new setup. I disconnected the power from my internal security cams because my alarm system is still hooked up to the cloned router (have to get the vendor out here tomorrow to un-fuck it and take their cameras home with them).

I'm still trying to figure out how someone would have gotten my wifi password, which would have been a requirement for my computers to just switch over without issue. It's on a sticker on the side of the router, and one of my security cameras points in that direction, so that's a possibility. I know Amazon will cache that info for you as well, so all of your devices can just connect without issue. So maybe one of my kids' thousand kindle fires was accessed by someone. But that seems so unlikely because this has to be someone with a router set up in close physical proximity to me (i.e. a neighbor). I'm not in an apartment with close neighbors - it's like a 4k square feet home with decent spacing between neighbors. But I'm getting a great signal so they must be using a nice router.

I'm checking on whether my professional liability insurance will pay for a cybercrime firm to come out tomorrow and investigate (minimum 7.5k for one day turnaround). Would love to know which house has the router in it and I can handle it from there.

Anybody else have an experience like this?

Wow. My sister had something similar happen don't know exact specifics but what I know her neighbor runs some form of IT business cloned her router was stealing net from her she has no idea how they got password either

I've been monitoring the Wifi for my neighbor's house, and that signal comes and goes exactly as the spoofed copy of mine. Ostensibly, the wife is a hairdresser and the husband is a furniture salesman. Apparently one of them is also a nerd. She comes over periodically to let her son play on our playground. She's lost a lot of weight lately and doesn't wear a bra when she comes over. If she shook her boobs in my face and told me everything's going to be okay, all would be forgiven. Except for the husband - maybe he has an accident on the way to work or something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.