Mad Referrer
Jacked Immortal
EG Auction Sniper
VIP Member
Shout Master
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
Consider two lifters who are both trying 500-pound deadlifts. Lifter A swiftly applies a lot of power to the ground, and the bar leaps off the ground. Lifter B applies the same amount of power to the ground, but not as rapidly, thus the bar comes off more slowly. Which lifter has a better chance of finishing the deadlift? Lifter A has my money. Bar speed off the floor is important, yet it is difficult to teach at greater percentages of 1RM.

What you must understand is that explosive strength (also known as rate of force generation) is determined by the INTENT to apply force fast (lift quickly), not by the actual bar speed. Even if the bar does not move, an isometric muscular movement may be explosive; picture an excellent deadlifter pulling against a bar 500 pounds heavier than his 1RM. He's still exerting a great deal of effort on the bar - and doing so fast - but it's not moving. Consider my missed deadlift at the 2:12 point in this video as an example. Even if the bar isn't moving, you'll see it bending; force is still being exerted. Advanced lifters understand this.

How to Perform a Speed Deadlift: Step 1: Place the barbell on the floor above your feet and reach down.
Step 2: Bend your knees and waist, then reach down and grasp the barbell. The hands should be shoulder width apart.
Step 3: Pick up the weight as rapidly as you can while keeping your arms straight (still be under control). To complete the task, use your legs and lower back.
Step 4: Lock your legs and back out at the top before lowering the weight to the ground.
Step 5: Repeat for the desired number of times.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZuEogGdpjw

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.