Success Principle #12: The Real Golden Rule (How to Be Productive)

F.I.S.T.

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Board Donator
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
Success Principle #12: The Real Golden Rule (How to Be Productive)
Tuesday, 10 February 2015 in Get Success

The Productivity Concept - Golden Dozen

Hopkins calls his productivity concept the "Golden Dozen" because it's 12 words long.

The concept says -

I MUST DO THE MOST PRODUCTIVE THING POSSIBLE AT EVERY GIVEN MOMENT.

Read that again please -

I MUST DO

THE MOST PRODUCTIVE THING POSSIBLE

AT EVERY GIVEN MOMENT

Maybe you see how this works.

But maybe you are a bit confused.

Don't read too far into it.

Just repeat that sentence over-and-over to yourself during the day.

Also, the Golden Rule calls for you to put up signs that say "I MUST DO THE MOST PRODUCTIVE THING POSSIBLE AT EVERY GIVEN MOMENT" in all of your rooms.

When I started trying to apply this concept, I put signs everywhere -

Bedroom.

Office.

Kitchen.

Everywhere.

Bathroom.

I was sharing a house with a bunch of people too. They didn't mind.

I had a little note card too.

With the Golden Rule in your head and often right in front of your face, you will constantly remind yourself -

What This Actually Means

Go ahead and read pages 6 through 11 in "The Official Guide to Success", Tom explains what this is and what it means in his own words.

In a nutshell (directly from the book) -

Tell yourself, "I must do the most productive thing possible at every given moment."

Decide what the most productive thing is.

Do it.

When you've pushed the thing as far forward as you can right now, go back to step (1) and start over.

That means, whenever you don't know what to do, find yourself off-task or are "bored" (a sign that your priorities are not that important to you), you tell yourself -
[size=14pt]

By default, you will figure out what to do, get yourself back on-task or STOP BEING BORED.

Works every time.

The biggest question that some of you guys have is -

- So does that mean I'm WORKING all the time?

No, it doesn't.

Sometimes, the most productive thing is to take a nap or get to bed early.
(so you can be rested to work on your #1 priority)

Sometimes, the most productive thing is to take a break and eat some food.
(so you can have energy to work on your #1 priority)

Sometimes, the most productive thing is to follow "Good Looking Loser's Life or Death Test" and schedule something fun to do at least once every 15 days.
(so you can remain emotionally/socially healthy to work on your #1 priority)

Whatever the 'MOST PRODUCTIVE THING POSSIBLE' is -

It is meant to benefit your #1 Goal and keep you focused on your #1 Priority.

What The Golden Rule Actually Does
(Practical Living, My Experience)

In real life, the Golden Rule does two main things for me -

Kills my desire to 'multitask', get off-task or procrastinate. Which are all the same thing. (short-term)
Keeps me more focused on my primary daily goal(s). (long-term)

That alone yield huge dividends over time.

Anytime I ask myself -

What is the most productive thing at this given moment?

If I'm off-task, I also automatically ask myself -

Why am I doing [whatever I'm doing]?

- Why am I flipping through Facebook to see how a cute girl I hooked up with 2 years ago has gained weight?

- Why am I spending more than allotted 20 morning minutes on my fantasy basketball team?

- Why am I reading customer reviews on Amazon of items I'm not going to buy?

- Why am I reading random Wikipedia entries about things I don't care about?

I will usually be right back on-task by realizing that I'm in "garbage time".

I consciously lived by the Golden Rule, everyday, for about 4.5 months back in late ~2009.

At the time, my main priority was still hooking up with girls and my secondary goal was to secure 5 private training/nutrition clients that paid me $1000/month.

It was the most consciously productive period of my life.

The Golden Rule has made me more productive on a daily basis and therefore - a weekly, monthly and yearly basis.

Pre-Planned Golden Days & Golden Nights (These Days)

Although I no longer deliberately practice the Golden Rule on a DAILY basis, subconsciously, in the back of my head (or from the signs in my office) I'll be thinking -

Practicing this on a daily basis is fantastic but eventually you want to reach autopilot and not have to constantly remind or correct yourself.

These days, I mainly apply the Golden Rule when I lose focus or "don't know what to do now...".

Both are pretty rare.

I do, however, have full days where I consciously practice the Golden Rule for the entire day.

For the sake of this discussion, I'm calling them -

Golden Days

Basically, it's a marathon work day, no less than 16 hours of short-term goals/tasks.

It's meant to knock off A LOT of work.

I have a pre-written checklist of small goals that I wrote the night before.

I take Modafinil (or Ritalin) in the morning and small amounts (3-6 grams, every 120-180 minutes) of Kratom throughout the day.

I take caffeine via Diet Mountain Dew, Diet Dr. Pepper, etc. throughout the day.

My appetite is DEAD because that's what this combo does. 3 meals will usually be fine.

I knock my goals out ONE by ONE by ONE.

Checking them off ONE by ONE by ONE.

The only breaks I take come when I finish the task or 90 minutes, whichever comes first.

Needless to say, I'm highly productive.

The biggest obstacle is wanting to go play instead of doing work.

When the "You're in a good mood! Let's go outside and play Chris!" idea comes over me, I'll think to myself -

And Get back to work.

Sometimes I'll go for a jog or go to the gym (combo is amazing for the gym), but these 'Golden Days' are really meant to get 2-3 days worth of work done in just 1 day.

I will only schedule a handful or less of these "Golden Days" a month.

[/size]

Worthless Distractions and Unintended Unproductive Habits

The Golden Rule also helps knock out worthless unproductive distractions and unintended timewasters.

If you are truly trying to do the most productive thing possible at every given moment, rationalizing inefficient habits such as these will be difficult -

Randomly checking your social media every 25 minutes (if not for business)

Texting (a high inefficient way to communicate - get SIRI/voice activated texting)

Smoking cigarettes daily

Watching the news / Doing "research" on things that have no effect on your life

Anything that takes your focus off your #1 Priority during work time

Texting a friend on and off for 2 hours is a great way to waste 1/8 of your possible working hours.

No, it's not something that you HAVE TO DO to be a friend.

There's so many other examples both of us can think of too.

If you are rationalizing these habits as part of "I'm being more productive" and not designated "relax time", you don't have enough action in your life and I suggest you take a look at this post.

Simply by repeating/subconsciously reinforcing the Golden Rule, you can eliminate 75% of the minutes wasted on unproductive distractions.

How to Apply the Golden Rule

There's two ways that I suggest to apply it -

Make the signs, repeat the concept, make the commitment and try to live by it on all your weekdays.

It would be great if you were able to simply apply it to all 7 days of the week, but that is not practical for most "help me be successful" people.

If you are able to be 25% more productive and 25% less off-task, consider it a growing success.

Add it as a 13th habit and start "30 Days of Discipline".

This will be a real challenge because that program isn't exactly easy, especially if you are a recovering slacker.

If you apply it everyday, for 30 days, if will be pretty easy to maintain after that if you are serious about your life.

Here's another hint -

START TODAY

JUST TRY YOUR BEST

DON'T DECLARE FAILURE IF YOU FIND YOUR OFF-TASK

The Golden Rule is to shift your focus back on-task, as much as it is to prevent you from going off-task.

Pour Conclure

So there's an applicable way to become more productive.

Theory with an actionable step behind it.

Remember -

You will never be 100% efficient.

But you don't have to be.

Eliminate just 25-50% of your "garbage time" and you'll be ahead of 100% of people.*
* 1% margin of error

Do you understand how unproductive most people are?

Do you really?

Most people can't even "find the time" to work on their own projects, have fun that isn't in front of the television or "not be obese".

Remember also -

It won't go perfectly. It might be hard.

Old habits die hard and new ones grow hard.

You might 'find yourself' talking to your stuffed animals when you should be working.

Or you might 'find yourself' texting a friend pointless stuff when you should be sleeping.

Just keep the concept in mind, make your signs, practice it as best you can and watch yourself become more productive and conscious.

There's not much more to it than that.

References:

All the credit for the concept goes to Tom Hopkins, the sales/original self-improvement genius -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0938636057/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=lifestyle0bc-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=0938636057&adid=0YSDXTETPBJ20TQDA4PY

http://www.tomhopkins.com/index.shtml?Screen=index

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tom+hopkins

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.