Sugar Alcohols......What are they?

I've been looking into these a little bit. Mainly because there are so many sugar alcohols and different products use different ones. I try to choose Protein bars with the least amount of Sugar,--but that means the most amount of Sugar Alcohols. So, here is some info I put together to help.

What Are Sugar Alcohols?

A sugar alcohol, also known as a polyol, is an interesting type of carbohydrate. Its structure is kind of a hybrid between a sugar molecule and an alcohol molecule (hence the name “sugar alcohol”) and, for the most part, our bodies do a poor job of digesting and breaking down sugar alcohol in the small bowel. It’s also sweet to the tongue and resistant to fermentation by oral bacteria, meaning sugar-free gum manufacturers employ it judiciously to sweeten their products without causing cavities. Our colonic bacteria, however, can and do ferment the stuff. For that reason, it’s a kind of prebiotic that, as Kurt Harris points out, can stimulate diarrhea and exacerbate existing irritable bowel syndrome-related symptoms. Common side effects of sugar alcohol consumption (or over-consumption) include bloating, gas, and abdominal pain. Sugar alcohols are not quite non-caloric, but all contribute fewer calories than sucrose, and their effects on insulin and blood sugar (if any) are pretty minimal.

Sugar alcohols pop up in nature, in fruits like apples and pears, but any commercial product that contains them must list the specific alcohols in the ingredients. If they aren’t counted toward the official carb count, they must be listed separately in the nutritional information.

O.K., that tells you a little about them, now...what are the different types?
Xylitol
Sorbitol
Erythitol
Maltitol

(There are more, but these are the most used.)

From what I've been able to gather, The idea is that Sugar Alcohols are used because they sweeten a product without added calories. They also count somewhat like Fiber, in that, they come off of the total Carb count. But, this couldn't be further from the truth. Everything I've found suggests Sugar Alcohols are worth about half the calories as regular sugar. (depending on the type of sugar alcohol used).

Erythitol seems to have the least caloric effect with a Glycemic index of 0 and only .2 calories per gram.
Maltitol is the worst with a Glycemic Index of 36. It is, however, the closet to sugar in Taste and feel.
Sorbitol, which is used a lot, has an Index of 9 and 2.6 calories per gram. Sugar has 4 calories per gram.
Xylitol has an Index of 13, has half the calories as Sucrose and is 1.6x sweeter than sucrose. It has little effect on blood glucose and none on insulin.

I may update this with more info later, I just don't feel like typing and researching anymore.

image_2024-08-02_153836054.webp

When figuring total carb count, subtract sugar alco..they do not count, same thing with fiber

jdb3 said:
When figuring total carb count, subtract sugar alco..they do not count, same thing with fiber
jdb3
They dont count AS MUCH. Fiber and sugar alcohol still provide some calories

Ill help you out brother so you don't have to search or type anymore, my degree is in dietetics so its my job to know about this type of stuff. You did a great job by the way so props for all the hard work! Ill just touch on a bit of stuff...

Sugar alcohols are not carbohydrates, but the counterparts of specific carbohydrates. Polyols is short for polyhydric alcohols. Although they are naturally found in fruits and vegetables, they are synthesized by hydrogenating certain sugars. These sugar alcohol compounds differ from their monsaccharides by a slight arrangement of their atoms; the carbohydrate's hydroxyl group (-OH) is replaced with an aldehyde or ketone group.

So...
Sucrose - Sorbitol 2.6 kcal/gram
Mannose - Mannitol 1.6 kcal/gram
Maltose - Maltitol 2.1 kcal/gram
Xylose - Xylitol 2.4 kcal/gram

Mannose or glucose is hydrogenated (hydrogen added) to yield mannitol; glucose to gnerate sorbitol; and xylitol from xylose is derived from xylans. Xylans are gummy polysaccharides found in plant parts such as oat hulls, corncobs, and birch wood. Other examples of sugar alcohols are the hydrogenated starch hydrolysates, which are a mixture of hydrogenated oligo- and polysaccharides, maltitol, and sorbitol. Maltitol appears to be the closest equivalent to sucrose in solubility and functionality.

Sugar alcohols are also cariostatic, or cavity preventing, because they cannot be digested by the bacteria responsible for dental caries.

Sorbitol, the most widely used sugar alcohol, has the added quality of acting as a humectant (A substance that attracts water to itself. If added to food, it increases the water-holding capacity of the food and helps to prevent it from drying out by lowering the water activity) and is frequently used in marshmallows and shredded coconut to maintain moistness.

Akhusker said:
Ill help you out brother so you don't have to search or type anymore, my degree is in dietetics so its my job to know about this type of stuff. You did a great job by the way so props for all the hard work! Ill just touch on a bit of stuff...

Sugar alcohols are not carbohydrates, but the counterparts of specific carbohydrates. Polyols is short for polyhydric alcohols. Although they are naturally found in fruits and vegetables, they are synthesized by hydrogenating certain sugars. These sugar alcohol compounds differ from their monsaccharides by a slight arrangement of their atoms; the carbohydrate's hydroxyl group (-OH) is replaced with an aldehyde or ketone group.

So...
Sucrose - Sorbitol 2.6 kcal/gram
Mannose - Mannitol 1.6 kcal/gram
Maltose - Maltitol 2.1 kcal/gram
Xylose - Xylitol 2.4 kcal/gram

Mannose or glucose is hydrogenated (hydrogen added) to yield mannitol; glucose to gnerate sorbitol; and xylitol from xylose is derived from xylans. Xylans are gummy polysaccharides found in plant parts such as oat hulls, corncobs, and birch wood. Other examples of sugar alcohols are the hydrogenated starch hydrolysates, which are a mixture of hydrogenated oligo- and polysaccharides, maltitol, and sorbitol. Maltitol appears to be the closest equivalent to sucrose in solubility and functionality.

Sugar alcohols are also cariostatic, or cavity preventing, because they cannot be digested by the bacteria responsible for dental caries.

Sorbitol, the most widely used sugar alcohol, has the added quality of acting as a humectant (A substance that attracts water to itself. If added to food, it increases the water-holding capacity of the food and helps to prevent it from drying out by lowering the water activity) and is frequently used in marshmallows and shredded coconut to maintain moistness.
AkhuskerIf thats from memory, kudos to you! Its been a while since I have heard that.. Definitely knocked some cobwebs off.. haha

Underground Conditioning "Training for the rest of us"

homegrown said:
If thats from memory, kudos to you! Its been a while since I have heard that.. Definitely knocked some cobwebs off.. haha

Underground Conditioning "Training for the rest of us"
homegrown
Haha no not from memory, I have a large collection of my school books from all my dietetics classes that I have memorized where everything is at (i think i have read each one cover to cover like 10 times) and I just go refresh myself on them and bam... I can go from there.

morrey said:
They dont count AS MUCH. Fiber and sugar alcohol still provide some calories
morrey Not calories, they count, they are not considered when total carb count in nutrition

jdb3 said:
Not calories, they count, they are not considered when total carb count in nutrition
jdb3That is the fallacy of Sugar Alcohols....each one has a different "count". Some are half as much, some 1/4, some more. But, they should still be counted.

Very informafive! I appreciate the information.bros! BIGBOSS
is.learning.some.things.here.mane!.Thanks! 8)

Little know fact consuming sugar alcohol products, S.A will give you a false positive on a Breathalyzer.......................... So next time you eat a half dozen glazed from Dunkin Donuts do not get pulled over.

Aventia said:
Little know fact consuming sugar alcohol products, S.A will give you a false positive on a Breathalyzer.......................... So next time you eat a half dozen glazed from Dunkin Donuts do not get pulled over.
Aventiaso cops will always fail a breathalyzer ?

GRIM said:
so cops will always fail a breathalyzer ?
GRIM
Have you ever noticed Cops never take a breathalyzer, they can wrap their car around a pole or hit someone and Never take the test.

Aventia said:
Have you ever noticed Cops never take a breathalyzer, they can wrap their car around a pole or hit someone and Never take the test.
AventiaDon't you know, enforcers of the law are above the law. Just like congress 🙂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.