Thoughts on the Ketogenic Diet? Yaay or Nay

slinsane

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
So I am thinking of starting a cyclic ketogenic diet. I realize this is a high fat, high protein and very low carb diet. I already have everything figured out. What is everyone's thoughts about this type of diet. I think it should fit my lifestyle.

Nay- I did it for 4 months and it sucked, my muscles were flat, i was always tired and the results weren't any better than with carbs

Hate Hate Hate it!!! There are those here that have tried it and had success on it.....BUT, I don't know anyone that uses it as a sustainable program. If you just want to try it just to jump a hurdle, break a plateau, or get yourself ready for an upcoming event, then fine.....but, it's not a lifestyle diet to stick with. You can end up causing severe metabolic damage if you abuse it. JM2C 😉

My biggest problem is carbs seem to make me hold extra weight. Do you guys measure out how many carbs a day you are going to eat and divide by 6 or 7? I realize too some of my carbs are dirty but really during the week I eat relatively clean. The weekend kills my ass.

You sound a lot like me, where you can literally see yourself get fatter with every carb you swallow! It really depends on the type of carbs you consume that is going to have the best end result.

If your wanting to get ripped and know your body much better you really would have to measure out your carbs. And go from there.

slinsane said:
My biggest problem is carbs seem to make me hold extra weight. Do you guys measure out how many carbs a day you are going to eat and divide by 6 or 7? I realize too some of my carbs are dirty but really during the week I eat relatively clean. The weekend kills my ass.
slinsaneYes. I measure out not just my carbs...but ALL my food! I also keep the majority of my carbs in the fast digesting category. The exception being breakfast and lunch. Those meals I use Oat bran and berries for breakfast carb sources, and lunch I use Sweet Potatoes. Rest of the day is white rice, and then pop tarts Post workout.

You want to know what really is going on....weight your food!

What I did that helped me drop some body fat % was to run it for 3 days
Then the 4th day add good carbs 50/50 veg/sweetpotato, then repeat the cycle but not
For too long. Only 2-3 weeks max. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, yeah I really need to figure out my ratios and amounts.

Tsize why do you use higher glycemic foods after lunch and dinner? White rice is assimilated much faster then sweet potatoes. The insulin spike should cause more fat storage, right? Whats the logic, not doubting you a bit, but curious.

Massdig, Tsize, Akhusker, and Tkash what would you categorize your diet as? What type of ratios do you guys shoot for in regards to fat, carbs, and protein....?

slinsane said:
Thanks guys, yeah I really need to figure out my ratios and amounts.

Tsize why do you use higher glycemic foods after lunch and dinner? White rice is assimilated much faster then sweet potatoes. The insulin spike should cause more fat storage, right? Whats the logic, not doubting you a bit, but curious.

Massdig, Tsize, Akhusker, and Tkash what would you categorize your diet as? What type of ratios do you guys shoot for in regards to fat, carbs, and protein....?
slinsaneMy dinner carbs are actually my Post Workout Carbs, So I eat two Pop Tarts directly Post Workout....but, only on training days! On non training days, it's just 2 scoops of Isolate. My lunch is sweet potatoes as my carb source, but, those are surrounded by my mid morning and mid afternoon snack which consists of white rice. So, the white rice actually stokes the metabolism before and after the lunch meal which helps metabolize the sweet potatoes.. Also, keep in mind, while the Glycemic index of a sweet potato is high, it's Glycemic Load is actually much smaller, and in some cases (depending on how it's cooked)is as low as 11.

Don't get hung up on the Index, it's about as outdated as the BMI charts. The Glycemic Load is what matters more.

I would say my diet is more a Clean Diet, no specific kind of diet like Paleo or Gluten free. And, right now, my ratios are 40/40/20

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest threads

Back