Jacked Immortal
EG Auction Sniper
VIP Member
Shout Master
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash

A 12 INCH NEEDLE IN MY LIVER​

I was 20 years old and in for a routine check-up that included some labs. At this point in life, I lifted weights six times a week. I assumed everything would look flawless. I was wrong. I got a call back from the sports medicine GP saying I needed to come back in and discuss some elevated lab values.

The doctor was very concerned about why my liver values (AST and ALT) were elevated. He felt that there was a possibility for liver disease occurring, or worse. He decided an ultrasound was needed to get a better look at my liver. I got the ultrasound done and started to do some reading about the lab aberrations in my results. I found that there were possibilities my doctor overlooked, like hard weight training.

The ultrasound came back normal. The doctor wanted to move on to a liver biopsy, but that was where I drew the line. I kinda disliked the idea of sticking a 12-inch needle into my liver. Turns out, the doc hadn't considered the effects of training on lab results.

Athletes Are Different​

It's not that an athlete's body is functioning differently than his non-lifting brethren. It just comes down to the stress placed on the body when someone intensely exercises. Heavy exercise doesn't affect all of the labs, but it does change some key ones that might be run as general wellness checks.
Heavy training is a trauma and stress on the body. Resistance exercise tears muscle fibers, creating damage and releasing various enzymes into the body. Heavy running can create enough muscle damage that urine will even change color from hemolyzed red blood cells. Hydration levels can fluctuate considerably depending on the training environment. Diet is another area that can affect the blood levels of various enzymes and markers.

Lab Basics​

Labs are typically ordered in groups called panels. A panel that analyzes electrolyte levels and kidney function is referred to as a "basic metabolic panel" or chem 7. A "complete blood count" or CBC delves into the body's circulating cells. Each panel measures various biomarkers that represent indicators of different organs or functions in the body.
Each lab value has a range of accepted standard values – the reference range. Any value that falls out of the reference range is considered abnormal. As you can imagine, a larger deviation from the reference range requires more attention. Think about labs as one piece to the puzzle. They don't tell the whole story; they just provide one chapter.

Common Abnormal Labs​

Recap​

• Heavy and hard training creates lab abnormalities that must be taken into account when discussing health.
  • Muscle damage releases enzymes like CK, ALT and AST which can also be elevated in various disease processes.
  • Have a discussion with your doctor about these factors to make sure he or she is aware that you train hard.
I want to emphasize this isn't a guide to skip labs or not look into lab aberrations. Just use this info as the start of an educated conversation with your medical provider.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.