Training over 50

pooh6369

Jacked
Jacked Immortal
EG Auction Sniper
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
I started this topic in regards to a unclaimed raffle winning. But I guess I did it improperly. How have you adjusted your training style when you're getting older?

You still trying for "PR's" or realizing your not invincible??

There's quite a bit of old farts here like me. I'm 56 while the gains aren't a fast. They are there for the taking.

All my injuries and surgeries have come after the age of 50, I have come to realize through my thick skull. I have to slow it down go higher volume and moderate weights. Have decades training with powerlifting and bodybuilding. Now just maintain my size with sensible muscle stimulus and sensible diet and keep my body fat percentage relatively low.

im 45 and occasionally try to go for a 3-4 rep max, but not 1rm .. and i got tendon issues lol which sucks asshole .. joints themselves are alrite,, just a bit achy the day after workouts sometimes.. rotator cuff tendon is being a little bitch as well. so annoying.

I do get a hair up my butt occasionally when I feel real strong. The last time I went crazy, I pinched my radial nerve and had c4,c5 and c6 replaced. I was 51yrs old. Then a few years later tore my rotator cuff and bicep. That's what really put me in reality gotta be more self aware.

Stretch higher reps while lowering the poundage. Longevity is the goal, still get compliments on my size. But I earned that training most of my life. Now just maintain!!

I do get a hair up my butt occasionally when I feel real strong. The last time I went crazy, I pinched my radial nerve and had c4,c5 and c6 replaced. I was 51yrs old. Then a few years later tore my rotator cuff and bicep. That's what really put me in reality gotta be more self aware.

Stretch higher reps while lowering the poundage. Longevity is the goal, still get compliments on my size. But I earned that training most of my life. Now just maintain!!
pooh6369Would love it if discs can be replaced by merely slipping out the bad ones and slipping in a replacement that's as good as the natural ones. One can only dream...

I'm a shout away from 60 and I keep the weight lower but go more reps but yea there's times I'd get a little greedy and I'd certainly feel it later.

Warmups preworkout to get loosened up is part of the plan as when you are older you are tighter.

I'm a shout away from 60 and I keep the weight lower but go more reps but yea there's times I'd get a little greedy and I'd certainly feel it later.

Warmups preworkout to get loosened up is part of the plan as when you are older you are tighter.
IronFoxI need to stop trying to go so heavy. My rotator cuff if bugging me. Its not torn i dont think because i still have full range of.motion and pain is more a nuisance than anything else but i gotta start working on higher reps.. but loss in strength fucks with my head for some reason lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.