Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Board Donator
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
UFC welterweight Jordan Mein retires at age 25

Jordan Mein has decided to hang up the gloves at age 25, after almost 40 MMA fights in his career.

In a bit of surprising news, UFC welterweight Jordan Mein has decided to leave the sport at just age 25. Word comes from the Wednesday edition of UFC Tonight, with SBN's Ariel Helwani stating that Mein is 'burnt out' and 'lost that fire' as the reasons for not wanting to compete again.

While he is still pretty much a young in age, Mein has had a longer career than most veterans as he started when he was just 16 years old. He has racked up the mileage after tallying 39 fights while competing for almost a decade in numerous promotions such as Strikeforce and the UFC.

Mein was last seen in the Octagon last January, where he was dominating Thiago Alves up until a perfectly placed body kick ended his night and snapped his winning streak. He has career wins over Josh Burkman, Dan Miller, Mike Pyle, and Marius Zaromskis.

Although Mein obviously still has what it takes to compete at a high level, it is refreshing to see a combat sports athlete leave before it is too late.

Frankie Perez, a fighter roughly the same age as Mein, also recently decided to hang up the gloves following his last UFC win. Hopefully, no one questions Mein's cojones after this decision.

I think he should retire. By the time he's 40 he probably won't be able to walk. I study Muay Thai under the tutelage of Michael Sri (Fairtex) the poor guy has had over 75 fights, beginning when he was 14. He can't even sit still in a chair for more than a few minutes without having to stand up. It's really sad.

Any fighting lifestyle can definitely take a toll on ones body.As you get older,this will definitely have an impact on ones physical ability and thats why its of the utmost importance to change how you do things as you age.Intensity,frequency of workouts,rest periods,etc.Even with those changes,it will still impact you if you stay in it.

Goes with the territory though.

Damn yall are scaring me lol. I just started taking Martial Arts training even though I'm in my young 30s. But not being able to sit in a chair for too long, sounds painful. I'm hoping to compete once-twice a year once I become proficient.

Daredevil said:
Damn yall are scaring me lol. I just started taking Martial Arts training even though I'm in my young 30s. But not being able to sit in a chair for too long, sounds painful. I'm hoping to compete once-twice a year once I become proficient.
Daredevil

LOL.Don't sweat it brother.Everyone has different afflictions from the lifestyle choices they've made and especially in the career choices.But that doesnt mean everyone will have the same one or as harsh a ones as the next guy.Ive had my share of injuries and to this day,deal with them,including arthritis,broken bones,tears in my suprspinatus tendons,fractures,etc.But they are not stopping me at all.Im not as agile as I was when I was 30 but i'll tell you what,im in far better shape than many people half my age.Its all about how soon you recognize you need to make changes and how soon you start doing therapy to counter those afflictions.

My instructor wants me to compete in a competition in July in Orlando of next year, assuming I continue training hard. I'd like to go to 2 competitions a year. I want to earn as many trophies as I can while I'm still somewhat young.

He said they have competitions aimed for certain age groups and levels of experience. I'm so excited. I did earn my white belt this week. Yes, earned! Lol, he said just because I joined didn't mean it was a freebie and I had to earn it by learning basic strikes and kicks.

Daredevil said:
My instructor wants me to compete in a competition in July in Orlando of next year, assuming I continue training hard. I'd like to go to 2 competitions a year. I want to earn as many trophies as I can while I'm still somewhat young.

He said they have competitions aimed for certain age groups and levels of experience. I'm so excited. I did earn my white belt this week. Yes, earned! Lol, he said just because I joined didn't mean it was a freebie and I had to earn it by learning basic strikes and kicks.
Daredevil
That is true MA! My TKD instructor also made you earn your white belt and he required 2 tournaments /year but I frequently went to that many per month!

Daredevil said:

Daredevil
Good goals man.2 comps a yr is a good starting point but as you get more into it,you'll feel the desire to comp more often.Dont want to over do it of course but more times in comp the better acclimated to it you'll become and the more firsthand knowledge you'll gain from it.Nothing teaches you how to deal with things in a fight than a fight.LMAO.

Stick with it brother.Definitely a fantastic lifestyle.

Today I earned a black stripe on my white belt. It was my 6th class since I started. Sensei said after one more additional striped earned then I'll be eligible to test for Yellow Belt.

Thanks for the pointers Yall. I appreciate it.

Daredevil said:
Today I earned a black stripe on my white belt. It was my 6th class since I started. Sensei said after one more additional striped earned then I'll be eligible to test for Yellow Belt.

Thanks for the pointers Yall. I appreciate it.
Daredevil

Thats awesome brother.Congrats.Stick with it my friend.You're doing fantastically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.