Update on hardcore gym

Chicken_hawk

Pumped
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
EG Cash
For those not in the loop I'm opening a hardcore gym with a buddy. Not a spot in the floor place, rather 4000 SF of just free weights and plate loaded stuff for people sick of the commercial gym scene. Well, have a chalk bowl, bumper plates, monolift, 3 power racks, 2 DL platforms, comp bench, jungle, hammer strength and dbs to 150. Most of that comes from my partners old gym that bled him dry as he tried to compete with the franchise gyms. So, I approached him with very little capital and a novel concept...an old school gym. One where we make the rules, no hidden fees, no contracts, just a mom and pop sort of thing. Fast forward to today....

Well, it's been 2 weeks and we are getting ready to paint. That doesn't mean we are nearly done rather we have to get the equipment in because the lease on where we store the equipment runs out. I feel like I'm chasing my tail while hemoraging money. But, on the positive side there is a lot of buzz and anticipation. So, we are feeding off that when we can. Tomorrow I spray the ceilings black, then the glass guys come to remove some of the storefront glass so we can move in equipment.

Hawk

Do it grab the niche by its balls and kill it bro!

Do it grab the niche by its balls and kill it bro!
GRIMI am glad you said it, niche is the word I had to use over and over when I tried to convince people this would/will work. I said, think Starbucks, Five Guys Hamburgers or Buckle Jeans. They constantly had one gym model in their mind...Planet fitness. So, when I mentioned 50 or 60 bucks they nearly fainted. Then they said they only pay 30 bucks...I said no, you pay 39 plus a 99 sing up feeling and a 75 gym improvement fee so really you pay 55/month and more if you cancel early.

My gym is month to month with no contracts. Hate my gym, then don't stay. No pre-registration rather a five day free trial. Want a water? Throw 50 cents in the Mason jar and grab one. It's not business, it's personal!

Hawk

I know you will do well with the concept you have bro!! I am so damn excited for you, I feel like I am crawling out of my skin with a huge adrenaline rush!!
There are a lot of people out there looking for the kind of gym you are opening C_H, they are tired of the franchises with all the bul**** going on .

Last edited:
I know you will do well with the concept you have bro!! I am so damn excited for you, I feel like I am crawling out of my skin with a huge adrenaline rush!!
There are a lot of people out there looking for the kind of gym you are opening C_H, they are tired of the franchises with all the bul**** going on .
Thor
I joined one not too long ago. got.tired of the commercial atmosphere. its owned by a former woman compeititor. the only drawback is its hot as fuck in there. otherwise picture metro flex minus ronnie and thats my gym.

I joined one not too long ago. got.tired of the commercial atmosphere. its owned by a former woman compeititor. the only drawback is its hot as fuck in there. otherwise picture metro flex minus ronnie and thats my gym.
enjoy_tren1
Awesome brother, I love those type gyms. However, while hardcore was in the thread title, what we are titling ourselves is old school. If branch Warren comes in and pulls plates off my leg press, myself and some mma buddies will show him the door. In my place the theme is "respect". We respect you, you respect the gym and each other. Almost a CrossFit environment, where we encourage each other and their space. If you are hitting a PR, we'll blast your favorite tune and on the other hand if you flirt with all the girls or hog equipment to take Instagram vids then by by.

Hawk

Thor
Yeah, it's awesome. It's not a ton, but nearly every day a few people I don't know ask a friend when we are opening because they just don't like the corporate box gym feel. That's how I feel at a franchise or a Starbucks lol. We are starting to wonder if 4k is enough room lol.

Hawk

Some marketing ideas.....
1. be sure to have an open house and invite the fitness community.
2. Market at other gyms even on the downlow
3. host power lifting meets at your gym

Btw....get something like this. let people know who you are and what youre about. thats my gym right there....fucking right!!

Attachments

• 20180523_221211.webp
    20180523_221211.webp
    51.8 KB · Views: 11
Btw....get something like this. let people know who you are and what youre about. thats my gym right there....fucking right!!
enjoy_tren1
We're on the same page. Picture a 40x100 space with one long walls all mirrors and mats. That's where the the dbs, racks and free wts go. Then three rows of machines facing the mirrors. On the walls without mirrors are grey with brick wainscoting and black and white pics of athletes and actors with inspirational quotes. Jordan, the Rock, John Wayne, Rocky, Bruce Lee etc...and bad ass gym rules.

Hawk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.