What is actually worth it?

d3r3k

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
You go to the supplement store and see hundreds and hundreds of supplements, from saw palmeto to vitamin b12, BCAA's, magnesium ect ect. What do you guys are truely effective supplements that arent just a waste of money? Also is there a way to find out which supplements might interfere with each other if taken at the same time, as some meds counteract each others affectiveness?

I have lyme disease so im on alot of shit my doc put me on both OTC AND RX, some need to be taken alone.

d3r3k said:
You go to the supplement store and see hundreds and hundreds of supplements, from saw palmeto to vitamin b12, BCAA's, magnesium ect ect. What do you guys are truely effective supplements that arent just a waste of money? Also is there a way to find out which supplements might interfere with each other if taken at the same time, as some meds counteract each others affectiveness?

I have lyme disease so im on alot of shit my doc put me on both OTC AND RX, some need to be taken alone.
d3r3kD3r3k, It all really depends on your goals. Most supplements are just a bunch of natural plant and flower extracts put together for improved blood flow or nutrient uptake. In all reality, the only supplements you need to take would be the ones you are depleting. BCAA's are extremely important. (but, if you use protein powder you pretty much get plenty of those) Glutamine is as well. Protein is probably the most important. There are a couple of others, but for the most part the rest of the shelves in the store are really useless. Vitamins not withstanding, of course.
All the Creatines, N.o.'s, thermogenics, and the like are not needed.

My current workout cabinet shelf:

#1 a good multi
#2 Protein Protein Protein
#3 BCAAs for workout

I do some fish oils/Omegas too..

Outside of the aforementioned I would say luecine and glutamine are important in addition to intra workout BCAAs. And minerals like mineralize.

I agree protein is a MUST. Multivitamins and creatine depend on your diet. If you have a well balanced diet then a multi is pointless. And if you are eating lots of red meat to begin with creatine wont do much. In my opinion BCAAs are only really necessary during a caloric deficit. Many studies have shown that glutamine is really worth it in terms of recovery or muscle gain

Protein- no explanation there.
BCAA's- especially post-w/o recovery. As T noted, most quality protein has BCAA's. I use Afterglow anyway. If you also engage in high cardio some people like to use intraworkout.
Glutamine, Leucine- Worthwhile investment.
Multivitamin (good one, made from whole foods), fish oil- Definitely.

Everything else is optional, imo. You can use N.O., it's a kickass vasodilator and helps somewhat with stamina, especially cardio. Karbolyn, once again, very optional and I only use for heavy cardio work, but it does work.Ceatine, which a cell volumizer and needs sugar to assimilate, imo, is kinda' worthless if you're using gear, and we all are. 8) Most protein nowadays contains creatine anyway. Herbs such as Saw Palmetto, etc., should be used on a definite needs basis. A lot of herbal supplements are gtg, but should be used, as noted, on a need-to basis, imo.

We're living in the 'Golden Age' of supplements, there's a ton of legit, gtg products out there, you just have to wade through the research, reviews, etc., to realize what you feel you definitely need and then choose a worthwhile product. That being said, there's a ton of crap out there also. Certain companies, like Force Factor, Muscletech ( and these are just 2) produce junk,IMO. Remember, the supplement industry is a multibillion$ industry, lots of room for bogus claims and products in there.

Maybe we should start a review thread on supplements, everyone can review products by profile, efficacy, taste, cost, etc., on a scale of 1 to 10.That way we could get some solid reviews inhouse, without having to rely on company propoganda and guesswork. Everyone's body chemistry is unique. What works for me might not work so well for you, and vice versa. It's really experimentation on an individual basis to see what works for you.But we can help eachother with honest opinions and reviews.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.