What is an alcoholic?

Daredevil

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
EG Cash
I believe that you all may have the answer for this.

I have a close friend that used to drink wine 1-3 times a week for the last several years. But lately she has been drinking daily for the last 2 weeks. Usually it's a mixed cocktail daiquiri about 32oz. Last two days my friend has been adding 5-6 shots of vodka on top of the mixed cocktail daiquiri a night.

I believe my friend is becoming an alcoholic.

What's your thoughts friends?

Sounds like she's on a Binge. 5 to 6 shots a night with a 32oz mixed drink is quite a bit of alcohol. If she has increased her intake over the last couple weeks maybe there is a reason. Is there something going on in her personal life that is causing a lot of stress? But yeah if she keeps this drinking up long term I would agree that she is an alcoholic.

Common text book things, loss of control, increase tolerance, etc...

On a more personal level, drinking to get a feeling or get rid of one or escaping.

It's hard to tell if someone is an alcoholic because there are so many kinds and variations but if she keeps going and from what you describe it sure sounds she is heading that direction.

tell her you're taking her out on the town for a wild night. drop her off at an AA meeting. Drive away.

Sounds like she is becoming one no matter what the reason,drinking more and more for whatever reason,to forget or to feel good doesn't matter she is getting used to drinking all the time,a habit that may be very hard to break.

drakonrep said:
drinking every day = alcoholic
drakonrepNot true, its healthy for males to drink about 2 drinks a day and about 1 drink a day for females, anything above that is unhealthy, doesn't make you an alcoholic in that stand point, but in the case of the woman in conversation, yes she is an alcoholic, mild case of course

Akhusker said:
Not true, its healthy for males to drink about 2 drinks a day and about 1 drink a day for females, anything above that is unhealthy, doesn't make you an alcoholic in that stand point, but in the case of the woman in conversation, yes she is an alcoholic, mild case of course
Akhusker
well yes, in this case the woman is a alcoholic. you are referring to the french where some wine is very healthy yes.

The frequency is related to habituation. She has now developed a habit of drinking daily. That does not mean she is an alcoholic.

First the process takes many years to really determine. As little tom said "Common text book things, loss of control, increase tolerance, etc..." and "On a more personal level, drinking to get a feeling or get rid of one or escaping."

There are differences between a functional alcoholic where life is affected minimally to the real alcoholic picture that is depicted in many stories. A real alcoholic needs to drink, it begins to control their life. That is the key, is this habit starting to control certain aspects of thier lives. At first, they might answer very little. In the end, it controls everything.

They become preoccupied with becoming intoxicated. The longer it goes on the higher the likelihood it will become a serious problem. Especially if a person starts consuming hard liquor. The lower alcohol content just is not working anylonger.

I think what everyone is getting at is yes, there is definite reason for concern. The actual term "alcoholic" at this point is kind of irrelevant and we can go back and forth all day long on definitions. From what you stated in your initial post OP I would be concerned. I would not come out shouting accusations of full blown alcoholism but I would have a conversation about whats going on. She may be or become a full blown alcoholic but from whats going on, this is how a lot of people start down the road.

drakonrep said:
well yes, in this case the woman is a alcoholic. you are referring to the french where some wine is very healthy yes.
drakonrepNo I'm referring to the United states dietetics board statement that any 2 drinks for males and 1 drink for females a day is healthy

Alcoholism is a disease that people are born with. Certain things can trigger the disease to surface. The not wanting to feel, or wanting to fit in, the party never stopping, certain self centered fears that the person does not want to deal with, believing what the persons disease is telling them, the unmanagability in their lives, the obsession and compulsion to drink. If it is early stages of alcoholism then that person has to go down that road alone and they need to figure things out, you can not do it for them. All you can do is pray for them and hope for the best. The more you intervene the more you can push them away.... Or maybe they are not but only time will tell

Thanks brothers for the responses. I'm going to try speaking to her later tonight about it. I appreciate the feedback

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.