You want to squat big than box squat....

BrotherIron

Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
Mutated
Fully Loaded
EG Cash
Box squatting is the most effective method to produce a first-rate squat. In my opinion, box squatting is the safest way to squat b/c you don't use as much weight as you would with a regular squat. First off let me dispel the myth that Box Squats will hurt your spine, NO they won't. You don't try to lift 700lbs and you don't rock on the box. You don't touch and go. You don't wrap your knees and you don't train in a squat suit either. Box squats will cause a very large carry over to your regular squat.

Now, how do you box squat? I know you're asking yourself this since you just found out this movement will cause a VERY big increase in your regular squat. They are performed like regular squats. Fill your abdomen with air and push out against your belt. Push your knees out as far as possible to the sides and tightly arch your back and squat back (NOT DOWN) until you completely sit on the box. Every muscle is kept tight while on the box with the exception of the hip flexors. By releasing and than contracting the hip flexors and arching the upper back, you will jump off the box, building tremendous starting strength. Remember to sit back and down, NOT straight down. To ascend correctly, push the traps into the bar. This will flex the back muscles, then the hips and glutes, and finally the legs. If you push with the legs first, you will be in a good morning position b/c the glutes will raise first causing you to bend over. Remember that where the head goes, the body will follow.

Your hamstrings will be strengthened to a high degree by performing this movement, which is essential to achieving a big squat. Now go out and give them a try.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.