blood sugar

I never really have a lot of sugar bit diabetes does run in my family. My dad and my grandmother on my dads side have it

Need to keep it under control with diet then in your case. look into metformin i got some if u need it. Eat a meal then exactly 2 hoirs later let me know what your sugar is.

inhuman88 said:
What's a good fasted blood sugar to have?
inhuman88
FYI, normal range is 70-110.

Having a history of diabetes is a good reason to monitor bg at least every 6 months. Your ok now, but they may change with time. just keep an eye on it. As 49er suggested monitoring carbs and limiting sugars from diet will help and so does exercising which you are getting now. I wouldn't recommend any bg medication until you need it.

Im not saying use metformin research it first. Many bodybuilders because specific diets and amount of foodthey need to consume for specific goals supplement with metformin. Thats probably why it is offered on 24's list it has health benefits as well. I dont use it myself just saying it is an option once you study its uses then you can decide.

49ER said:
49ER
I could easy site a few references with the values I have.

Every resource out there will have slightly different ranges when it comes to blood work. Same goes for hospitals and clinics...none will ever have the same values, but very close. The idea is not to be too far one way or the other. He should probably test himself a few more times fasted and see what his trend is. If he has a baseline in the 90's, the he should not be overly concerned at this point.

sityslicker1 said:
FYI, I'm an RN I deal with these kinds of things everyday.
sityslicker1 If your a RN i dont know why u are so far off? 120 is too high man. Im right here with someone in RN school this is all up to date information.

Im not saying hes pre diabetic to to say hes alrready getting exercise by bodybuilding is not the same thing. Someone with a problem needs cardiovascular exercise, sure you can say try lifting heavy or do this many reps and tell me your heart doesnt beat fast is not the same thing. I can watch a scary movie get my heart rate up it doesnt benefit me the same way.

49ER said:
If your a RN i dont know why u are so far off? 120 is too high man. Im right here with someone in RN school this is all up to date information.
49ER
He must not doing clinical rotations yet? As he would know from floating from hospital to hospital you will see that normal range is different (but close) from institution to institution. The same goes for the text books. The book he has this semester may have these set values, but next semester he may have a book that has conflicting information. Like I said you got to read b/w the lines. When looking at normal values you don't want to be way too far either direction.

Also, HbA1c test is better predictor of having diabetes or not. This is what MD's use when diagnosing pt's with diabetes.

49ER said:
Im not saying hes pre diabetic to to say hes alrready getting exercise by bodybuilding is not the same thing. Someone with a problem needs cardiovascular exercise, sure you can say try lifting heavy or do this many reps and tell me your heart doesnt beat fast is not the same thing. I can watch a scary movie get my heart rate up it doesnt benefit me the same way.
49ER
Not from a RN perspective, but bbing perspective weightlifting increases insulin sensitivity a great deal. He could benefit from both.

sityslicker1 said:
He must not doing clinical rotations yet? As he would know from floating from hospital to hospital you will see that normal range is different (but close) from institution to institution. The same goes for the text books. The book he has this semester may have these set values, but next semester he may have a book that has conflicting information. Like I said you got to read b/w the lines. When looking at normal values you don't want to be way too far either direction.

Also, HbA1c test is better predictor of having diabetes or not. This is what MD's use when diagnosing pt's with diabetes.
sityslicker1from being a walking pin cushion I can attest this is correct.
Each clinic/hospital uses different numbers, different test equipment, different studies, docs watch for different ranges depending on patient history, etc.

GRIM said:
from being a walking pin cushion I can attest this is correct.
Each clinic/hospital uses different numbers, different test equipment, different studies, docs watch for different ranges depending on patient history, etc.
GRIMCity slicker is not a doctor the information doesnt change. As far as it changing from place to place that is up to the doctor and his discretion on how he wants to treat an individual. im sorry fasted sugar up to 120 is not normal by any means. My soon to be ex has been in the medical field over 15 years this is pointless for me to argue but facts are facts.

49ER said:
City slicker is not a doctor the information doesnt change. As far as it changing from place to place that is up to the doctor and his discretion on how he wants to treat an individual. im sorry fasted sugar up to 120 is not normal by any means. My soon to be ex has been in the medical field over 15 years this is pointless for me to argue but facts are facts.
49ERthey do change 9er...
I got bloods from MULTIPLE different clinics and they ALL have their own ranges.

That is fact...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.