Iron Killer
Jacked Immortal
EG Freak
Mutated
Board Donator
Fully Loaded
EG Cash

SAMPLE DIABETIC DIET

This is a post from a female competitive bber that I though would be useful to any one with diabetes here..........

Please keep in mind that all diabetics or individuals with any type of medical condition should consult with their doctors and/or dieticians before changing their food intake. I am posting a sample diet below of what works for me as a diabetic. And a little background information for new diabetics or for those who deal with diabetics on a regular basis.

The first thing is to get a good healthy base diet and make subtle modifications from there.

Fat Intake
Make sure you are eating a lower fat and sodium diet similar to that of non-diabetics.

Carbohydrates
Here is where you really need to pay attention since this is what basically regulates your blood levels. When changing a diet be sure to really stick close to monitoring your blood sugar levels, and even increase the number of times per day that you check your levels. It is a good idea to check just before a workout too so you don't have problems during your workout after your body has kicked into high gear.

Simple Carbs such as sucrose, glucose or fructose, or food like candies, cakes, juices, non-diet soda, jelly, etc. should be avoided completely if possible or at least eaten in very very small quantities. The reason for this is because they are rapidly absorbed and digested causing a sudden surge in your blood sugar which can cause problems. If you have a sweet tooth, then get some sugar free candies. There have been major imporvements to these in the last couple of years and the major chocolate companys now sell them as well. (Hersheys has sugar free chocolate bars & Reeses has sugar free peanut butter cups). Try to keep those at a minimum as well, but they will work to satisfy a sweet tooth without messing with your blood sugar levels.

Complex Carbs (including fiber) such as whole wheat or whole grain breads, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, beans, oats and veggies. Should be increased quite a bit over what a non-diabetic eats. These carbs are slowely absorbed and digested and helps to keep sugar levels stable for the most part. The best clean diets will consisist of high fiber foods and veggies. However, there are still differences to a diabetics diet over that of a non-diabetic with regards to complex carb intake.

Ok, onto some sample diet. Keep in mind this is structured for diabetics and has increased complex carbs as is essential in regulating blood sugar. I have personally had great success in sample diet below but each person is a bit different. You will still want to stick to the 5-6 meals a day, and I have listed snacks at the very end that can be eaten between the "normal" 3 meals a day.

[size=14pt]
Breakfast #1

Egg Beaters
Whey Protein with Fat Free, Low Carb Milk

Breakfast #2

Hard Boiled Eggs
Wheat Toast with I Can't Believe its Not Butter
Whey Protein

Breakfast #3

Plain oatmeal with water (not milk). Use fresh fruits or artificical sweetner for flavoring if desired.
Whey Protein (or consider mixing protein powder into oatmeal for flavor)

Lunch #1

Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast, with whole wheat pasta
Broccolli

Lunch #2

Extra Lean Hamburger on Low Fat Whole Wheat or Muli-Grain bun
Asparagus

Lunch #3

Tuna on Low Fat Whole Wheat or Muli-Grain bread
Lima Beans

Dinner #1

Fish Fillets
Brown Rice
Green Beans

Dinner #2

Lean Ground Turkey
Multi-Grain Dinner Roll
Green Pepper

Dinner #3

Sirloin Steak
Baked Potato
Salad

Snack #1

Celery w/ Low Sugar Peanut Butter

Snack #2

Fresh Broccolli

Snack #3

Almonds

Snack #4

Whey Protein or MRP

Snack #5

Non-Fat Cottage cheese w/ protein powder

Snack #6

Tuna on Low Fat, Multi-Grain Crackers
[/size]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.