Tunaman...Jacked to normal in 5 years!

My information probably will not help anyone but I have degenerative disk disease in my upper cervical spine (should be bone on bone by now) and bulging L-5, I find that I have less problems if I stay busy and active. Ex: if I do squats and continue to workout I don't have much trouble with my back but if I stop working out and lay around then I have major issues with both since I feel the firmness of the surrounding tissue (from working out) helps to stabilize those injured areas like a sheath or brace. Just my personal experience with my back, I know some people have to have surgery but I refuse until I can't walk anymore.

I have also discovered that last time my back put me on my knees that doing a certain stretch allowed me to get right back up on my feet.

The stretch consists of being on all 4's hands and knees which is where I was because of my back and how I discovered this.
Sag your back like a sway back horse, sagging stomach towards the floor then arch your back like a pissed off cat, take it easy until you get used to it or figure out if it will work for you. I was able to get right back up with no issues and my back pain and spasms had just dropped me to my knees a couple of minutes before I did this stretch.

My information probably will not help anyone but I have degenerative disk disease in my upper cervical spine (should be bone on bone by now) and bulging L-5, I find that I have less problems if I stay busy and active. Ex: if I do squats and continue to workout I don't have much trouble with my back but if I stop working out and lay around then I have major issues with both since I feel the firmness of the surrounding tissue (from working out) helps to stabilize those injured areas like a sheath or brace. Just my personal experience with my back, I know some people have to have surgery but I refuse until I can't walk anymore.

I have also discovered that last time my back put me on my knees that doing a certain stretch allowed me to get right back up on my feet.

The stretch consists of being on all 4's hands and knees which is where I was because of my back and how I discovered this.
Sag your back like a sway back horse, sagging stomach towards the floor then arch your back like a pissed off cat, take it easy until you get used to it or figure out if it will work for you. I was able to get right back up with no issues and my back pain and spasms had just dropped me to my knees a couple of minutes before I did this stretch.
Thorive had narrowing of the spine, numerous degenerated and bulging disks for over a decade.
i just am real careful and strengthen the core and back

View previous replies…
ive had narrowing of the spine, numerous degenerated and bulging disks for over a decade.
i just am real careful and strengthen the core and back
GRIMYeps. I didn't have the narrowing, but had 2 emergency surgeries in 5 days and had to start working out to strengthen my core and back, worked so well it became a life style and got me into bodybuilding. Still workout cause it helps me not hurt as much.

Yeps. I didn't have the narrowing, but had 2 emergency surgeries in 5 days and had to start working out to strengthen my core and back, worked so well it became a life style and got me into bodybuilding. Still workout cause it helps me not hurt as much.
GoPro Had a L5-S1 fusion and taken Off pain killers which basically ruined my life because I had never ever taken them and had no clue how or when to dose then. Given 260 morphine 20mg instant release pills and sent home with no warns at all. Became addicted and cut off after they were no longer effective. Thank you VA, turned me to other sources which led to herion and anything I could get my hands on to stop the pain and withdrawals....... bodybuilding changed and saved my life at the time!!!!!

Had a L5-S1 fusion and taken Off pain killers which basically ruined my life because I had never ever taken them and had no clue how or when to dose then. Given 260 morphine 20mg instant release pills and sent home with no warns at all. Became addicted and cut off after they were no longer effective. Thank you VA, turned me to other sources which led to herion and anything I could get my hands on to stop the pain and withdrawals....... bodybuilding changed and saved my life at the time!!!!!
GoProDamn that sure sucks and good you got off those nasty painkillers and beat the addiction cycle. Your story should be a warning to anyone who's in similar situation.

Good info here in this old thread and thought I'd say something as I now have early stage degenerative disk disease as well, and I have to be careful with deadlifts so I now do rack pulls from just below the knee as a substitute. Also moderate weight higher rep scheme works as well. For squat I bought a new belt that provides good support for the back.

To sleep, I bought a new mattress that's firm...expensive but worth it.

@Thor, I'll try out your back warmup trick and see if that helps in warming my back up for lifting.

Hopefully @tunaman7 will come back and chime in...and hopefully he's OK.

Come back, Tunaman

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.