North of Vagina Training Log

Leg day for me today.......got stiff leg deadlifts too. Damn those things hurt my back though...Tips?

TSizemore said:
Leg day for me today.......got stiff leg deadlifts too. Damn those things hurt my back though...Tips?
TSizemoreMaybe keep em light man, they are stressful. I usually just lower until I feel a good stretch in my lower back, and then back to the starting position. Do you feel you have a weakness im your lower back?

March 16, 2014

OHP Day

OHP: TM 200
1x3x70%=140
1x3x80%=160
1x3x90%=180

Close Grip Bench: TM 290
1x8x60%=175
1x8x70%=205
1x12x80%=230

Chins
3x10xBW

Seated Shoulder Press
3x10x150
SS
Lateral Raise
3x10x35
SS
Bent Over Laterals
3x10x35

Glenn B Shrugs
1x100x88lb KB

Barbell Curl
5x10x95

Neck Harness Extension
55x35lb

DB Bench
3x10x105

N.O.V. said:
Maybe keep em light man, they are stressful. I usually just lower until I feel a good stretch in my lower back, and then back to the starting position. Do you feel you have a weakness im your lower back?
N.O.V.Definitely! It knots up on leg day big time. Walking lunges seem to be the catalyst usually.

March 17, 2014

Deadlift Day

Deadlift: TM 495
1x3x70%=345
1x3x80%=395
1x3x90%=445

Front Squat: TM 260
1x8x60%=155
1x8x70%=180
1x8x80%=210

KB Swings
1x100x44

Decline Sit Ups 70 reps

Neck Harness Extensions
1x20x25
1x25x55

DB Incline Bench
3x10x100

TSizemore said:
Definitely! It knots up on leg day big time. Walking lunges seem to be the catalyst usually.
TSizemoreI would say you need more lower back work. Throw immediate regular back raises, gms, reverse hypers, and light stiff legs.. sounds like your hamstrings probably over power your lower back. If there is any imbalance in the posterior chain, it'll show. Being that your hams are directly connected to your lower back, when you train them hard it literally creates tension, or pulls on your lumbar muscles causing a back pump. I've had this issue before, and bringing up size and strength in the lower back helped a lot. I used to get back pumps so bad training hams I wouldn't be able to finish my workout.

N.O.V. said:
I would say you need more lower back work. Throw immediate regular back raises, gms, reverse hypers, and light stiff legs.. sounds like your hamstrings probably over power your lower back. If there is any imbalance in the posterior chain, it'll show. Being that your hams are directly connected to your lower back, when you train them hard it literally creates tension, or pulls on your lumbar muscles causing a back pump. I've had this issue before, and bringing up size and strength in the lower back helped a lot. I used to get back pumps so bad training hams I wouldn't be able to finish my workout.
N.O.V.That's exactly what it feels like......Back Pumps! If I do high volume deadlifts (like 20reps) it kills me. Good morning's are just brutal.

I know exactly what you mean. I try to keep my pulls low volume, otherwise I'll still get pumps to an extent. Deadlifting is a power movement through and through. Low volume, high weight. I live by that for pulls.

Had a little mishap yesterday.. hyperextended my left thumb pretty bad. Thought for sure it was broken.. said fuck it and benched anyway. HA!

March 19, 2014
Bench Day

Bench: TM 340
1x3x70%=230
1x3x80%=270
1x3x90%=305
Full competition pause on all reps.

Incline Bench: TM 255
1x8x60%=155
1x8x70%=180
1x8x80%=195

Karowski Shrugs
8x20x115

Rope Upright Rows
3x12x110

DB Bench
3x10x110

Hammer Curl
5x20x30
SS
Triceps Rope Pressdown
5x20x50

Face Pulls
3x12x80

Neck Harness Extensions
1x60x32.5

TSizemore said:
TSizemoreOk little hijack here but on RDLs you need to make sure that the first move is your butt going backwards. Start with glutes tight and core straight and tight. Act like your sticking your ass out to moon someone with your legs only slightly bent to take pressure off the back of the knee, and drag the bar down your legs keeping in very close to the body. This keeps tension off the lower back and on the glutes and hams. Lower back will pump some, but perfect form lowers that. Raise up in the same fashion.

My .02 it works for me.

RockShawn said:
Ok little hijack here but on RDLs you need to make sure that the first move is your butt going backwards. Start with glutes tight and core straight and tight. Act like your sticking your ass out to moon someone with your legs only slightly bent to take pressure off the back of the knee, and drag the bar down your legs keeping in very close to the body. This keeps tension off the lower back and on the glutes and hams. Lower back will pump some, but perfect form lowers that. Raise up in the same fashion.

My .02 it works for me.
RockShawn^^^^^ this x100. Excellent explanation. Hard to teach someone, but once you got it its easy as pie

RockShawn said:
Ok little hijack here but on RDLs you need to make sure that the first move is your butt going backwards. Start with glutes tight and core straight and tight. Act like your sticking your ass out to moon someone with your legs only slightly bent to take pressure off the back of the knee, and drag the bar down your legs keeping in very close to the body. This keeps tension off the lower back and on the glutes and hams. Lower back will pump some, but perfect form lowers that. Raise up in the same fashion.

My .02 it works for me.
RockShawnGood call Rock. Romanians can be used to relieve back tension as a substitute for stiff legged deads. They're nearly the same exercise, less the slight bend at the knee in rdls.

March 23, 2014
OHP Day

OHP: TM 200
1x5x75%=150
1x3x85%=170
1x3x95%=190

Close Grip Bench: TM 240
1x5x70%=205
1x5x80%=230
1x8x90%=260

Shoulder Complex
Seated barbell press
3x10x155
SS
DB Lateral Raises
3x10x40
SS
Bent over Laterals
3x10x40

Glenn B Shrugs (100 w/o setting weight down)
1x100x88lb KB

Barbell Curl
5x10x100

DB Bench
3x10x110

Neck Harness Extensions
1x65x35

Chins (neutral grip SS wide grip)
6x10

Update coming soon brothers. Been out for a couple days, got a terrible case of the stomach flu. Was up to 245, dropped 10lbs overnight. Hoping to get back in there tonight, but have been severely dehydrated. Gonna try to pound some food and water, then go from there.

RockShawn said:

My .02 it works for me.
RockShawnPretty much the exact way I do them.......I've discovered that my issue is the back pump....I just seem to always get massive back pumps, hurt like a son of a bitch. Then they go away...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.