Boston Bombers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't aware of those studies. Interesting. Can you post a link?

Here's 1. I'll try to post more later.

http://geoconger.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/healing-prayer-works-us-study-finds-the-church-of-england-newspaper-aug-13-2010-p-6/

Funny how you don't mention the rest of my post, only the part you think I'm wrong about? Hmm? JK

Hanzo said:

http://geoconger.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/healing-prayer-works-us-study-finds-the-church-of-england-newspaper-aug-13-2010-p-6/

Funny how you don't mention the rest of my post, only the part you think I'm wrong about? Hmm? JK
Hanzo
Well I'll be damned! Honestly when I read bible shit and Jesus I just get bored as hell. Gonna go jack off now.

Guess I'm just predestined for damnation.

RockShawn said:
OdinsBlood, I still pray for you bro, whether you want it or not. I can see the place you are and understand your view.
RockShawn
I wouldn't have it any other way bro. I dont mind people praying for me at all. the more the better I say... lol my wife and kids are devout Christians. They go to church every weekend. and through out the week. I dont see them as flawed for having their beliefs, I just dont agree with it..

I guess I am a person who only has faith in what he can feel, smell, see and hear.. maybe i have just see to much fucked up shit and my views on religion are fucked.. I have never prayed for my own sake even at my worst times.

Hanzo said:
dowork said:
Either God isn't real, or prayer doesn't work, or God isn't listening. How do I know?

People pray for healing. People pray for success. People pray for various positive outcomes.

Given the length of time (centuries) that people (Christians) have been praying for these things, we should be able to examine this group of people and clearly see a healthier, happier, richer, more successful group of people than compared to any other group of people.

This is simply not the case.
dowork
Well, numerous studies have been published from research at hospitals which shows a clear relationship to people getting well quicker when there is a group of people praying for them. I know, next you'll question the machinations, such as, why does a group of people have more 'sway' with God? Idk, but the Bible also says that when a group of people gather in Jesus' name, his spirit will be there.

True Christians believe you don't ask for anything material when you pray.How could you possibly tell God anything he dosen't already know? In the Book of Matthew we are instructed by Jesus to go in a private place to pray. Not to ask for anything, but in order to connect with the spirit of God and receive 'marching orders', if you will. This is where faith comes in to a large degree.

How do you know Christians don't live happier, healthier lives? As for the riches part, being a Christian, you should know that God's promise is of riches in Heaven, not on Earth.Living with a guilt-free conscience, because you actually follow God's word, not because you go to church every weekend and ask forgiveness for the prior week's sins, is a gift itself. Don't you agree? As far as healthier, if you're living a true Christian life you won't be a fat pig, to be blunt. Gluttony is also a sin.

You guys who question God or Christianity are missing an important point here. You judge Christianity by the people who proclaim to be Christians. Has it occured to you that most of the people who say they are Christians by their words are, in fact, not Christian's at all? Actions speak louder than words in Christianity also.The Bible also addresses this, as it states, "Narrow is the Path, and few are they who walk it", even those who profess to be Christians. I have a surprise for you, God will judge those who proclaim to be Christians with the same lens of Truth as he will judge non-Christians. Preaches who lead people astray are going to get a special treat.

I agree with the lower half of your post. BUt

that is very one sided to say people get better from prayer.. When in fact it has nothing to do directly with the prayer itself but more of the fact of the human state of mind. People believe what they want to. Just like when a soldier gets his legs blown off you tell him it is going to ok and you dont let him see the shit. they have a greater chance of surviving than a soldier who sees his missing limbs.

I am going to us a perfect example..

So there I laid in the middle of a field after an IED had exploded under me.. launched me over 50 yards and I broke my back in 3 different places and could no longer feel my legs, was bleeding all over the fucking place half my calf was hanging out of the bottom of my pants. SO yup I was pretty freaked the fuck out after the stars had gone away and I could see again.. MY medic sat on my chest until the bird came in to evac me out. I didnt know the extent of my injuries until I made it back to the FOB. I didnt pray to god to keep me alive. I told myself I was going to be normal again. I had the mental strength to not give up on myself. I have seen dudes cry to their mommies and their god only to die hours later.

If there is a god out there and he is looking down on me.. I would at least like him to tell me what I have done to deserve the BS I have been through and why he took so many of my friends from me.

I guess I dont like religion because I dont like games.

Do I believe there is something out there sure I do.. There has to be I did not come from to atoms colliding together.. But do I or would I believe in christ NO NEVER.

and morals have nothing to do with religion. morals are set by a societies ability to accept certain things.. Simple religion is a foundation for those who need to know where we came from and why they are here. MY OPINION.................

dowork said:
Hanzo said:

Hanzo
Well I'll be damned! Honestly when I read bible shit and Jesus I just get bored as hell. Gonna go jack off now.

ROTFLMFAO!!!! You are hilarious my man.

I don't believe anyone is predestined for damnation tho.You still have freewill, so there's stil hope for you and OB, just not for morrey.

ODINSBLOOD said:
Hanzo said:
dowork said:
Either God isn't real, or prayer doesn't work, or God isn't listening. How do I know?

People pray for healing. People pray for success. People pray for various positive outcomes.

Given the length of time (centuries) that people (Christians) have been praying for these things, we should be able to examine this group of people and clearly see a healthier, happier, richer, more successful group of people than compared to any other group of people.

dowork
Well, numerous studies have been published from research at hospitals which shows a clear relationship to people getting well quicker when there is a group of people praying for them. I know, next you'll question the machinations, such as, why does a group of people have more 'sway' with God? Idk, but the Bible also says that when a group of people gather in Jesus' name, his spirit will be there.

True Christians believe you don't ask for anything material when you pray.How could you possibly tell God anything he dosen't already know? In the Book of Matthew we are instructed by Jesus to go in a private place to pray. Not to ask for anything, but in order to connect with the spirit of God and receive 'marching orders', if you will. This is where faith comes in to a large degree.

How do you know Christians don't live happier, healthier lives? As for the riches part, being a Christian, you should know that God's promise is of riches in Heaven, not on Earth.Living with a guilt-free conscience, because you actually follow God's word, not because you go to church every weekend and ask forgiveness for the prior week's sins, is a gift itself. Don't you agree? As far as healthier, if you're living a true Christian life you won't be a fat pig, to be blunt. Gluttony is also a sin.

You guys who question God or Christianity are missing an important point here. You judge Christianity by the people who proclaim to be Christians. Has it occured to you that most of the people who say they are Christians by their words are, in fact, not Christian's at all? Actions speak louder than words in Christianity also.The Bible also addresses this, as it states, "Narrow is the Path, and few are they who walk it", even those who profess to be Christians. I have a surprise for you, God will judge those who proclaim to be Christians with the same lens of Truth as he will judge non-Christians. Preaches who lead people astray are going to get a special treat.

that is very one sided to say people get better from prayer.. When in fact it has nothing to do directly with the prayer itself but more of the fact of the human state of mind. People believe what they want to. Just like when a soldier gets his legs blown off you tell him it is going to ok and you dont let him see the shit. they have a greater chance of surviving than a soldier who sees his missing limbs.

So there I laid in the middle of a field after an IED had exploded under me.. launched me over 50 yards and I broke my back in 3 different places and could no longer feel my legs, was bleeding all over the fucking place half my calf was hanging out of the bottom of my pants. SO yup I was pretty freaked the fuck out after the stars had gone away and I could see again.. MY medic sat on my chest until the bird came in to evac me out. I didnt know the extent of my injuries until I made it back to the FOB. I didnt pray to god to keep me alive. I told myself I was going to be normal again. I had the mental strength to not give up on myself. I have seen dudes cry to their mommies and their god only to die hours later.

If there is a god out there and he is looking down on me.. I would at least like him to tell me what I have done to deserve the BS I have been through and why he took so many of my friends from me.

Do I believe there is something out there sure I do.. There has to be I did not come from to atoms colliding together.. But do I or would I believe in christ NO NEVER.

and morals have nothing to do with religion. morals are set by a societies ability to accept certain things.. Simple religion is a foundation for those who need to know where we came from and why they are here. MY OPINION.................

Sorry to hear about your injury bro, glad you're better.

To me, honestly, it still sounds as if you're so jaded against religion, for your own personal reasons, that you judge God, Jesus and Christianity by the supposed adherents. You might not believe Jesus is the son of God, but no one can deny that He was on Earth. He's the most written about person to walk the Earth, including Elvis. ;D

Even the Chinese wrote about and recorded his true bday, in their contemporary times.I still beg to differ about morality not stemming from religious beliefs. Like I said, if there was no fear of doing wrong, why would people do anything right? Especially compassion to someone you don't even know, IMO.Sin had to be defined 1st, for the ancient civilizations, even if they were pagan tree worshipper's.That's the entire purpose of Jesus coming to Earth. Civilization had become so bogged down in the words and rule of law that they ground to an immoral standstill,they were too tied to how their religious leaders defined sin and salvation for them, even with the 10 Commandments.

Hanzo said:
dowork said:
Hanzo said:

Hanzo

ROTFLMFAO!!!! You are hilarious my man.

I don't believe anyone is predestined for damnation tho.You still have freewill, so there's stil hope for you and OB, just not for morrey.

Only God can judge me Hanzo :/

Hanzo said:
ODINSBLOOD said:
Hanzo said:
dowork said:

dowork

To me, honestly, it still sounds as if you're so jaded against religion, for your own personal reasons, that you judge God, Jesus and Christianity by the supposed adherents. You might not believe Jesus is the son of God, but no one can deny that He was on Earth. He's the most written about person to walk the Earth, including Elvis. ;D

Even the Chinese wrote about and recorded his true bday, in their contemporary times.I still beg to differ about morality not stemming from religious beliefs. Like I said, if there was no fear of doing wrong, why would people do anything right? Especially compassion to someone you don't even know, IMO.Sin had to be defined 1st, for the ancient civilizations, even if they were pagan tree worshipper's.That's the entire purpose of Jesus coming to Earth. Civilization had become so bogged down in the words and rule of law that they ground to an immoral standstill,they were too tied to how their religious leaders defined sin and salvation for them, even with the 10 Commandments.

you act as if humans are incapable of understanding emotion when it comes to another's well being. GOD NOR RELIGION made man moral. We humans are animals and just like our other mammal counter parts we too are able to quantify right from wrong with out the presence of a higher being. Whales care for their off spring probably better than humans do. DOGS have saved humans and thei own kind.. WAS THAT BECAUSE THEY HAVE RELIGION WHICH GAVE THEM MORALS?? NO it is because all mammals understand emotions.. I have no fear of doing wrong. But I dont treat people in away I would not want to be treated.. ANd that has nothing to do with religion. But I also feel only the strong should survive and the weak should be put to rest.

you give more credit to your GOD than you do the human race. I can only wonder how I walk this earth without the need of him by my side each day. How I have been blessed with the things I have with out paying my dues to him. I would rather burn in hell then get on my knees and bow down to some god. So he can forgive me for all I have forsaken him for. Yet he gave me paper without writing and told me to follow his words. Listen to the words I speak and once you have true faith then you can see these words I have written on this paper I have given you then you will see the light....

I only have one life to live and I cant spend it trying to unravel riddles and could be or would be's.

ODINSBLOOD said:
Hanzo said:
ODINSBLOOD said:
Hanzo said:
dowork said:

dowork

you act as if humans are incapable of understanding emotion when it comes to another's well being. GOD NOR RELIGION made man moral. We humans are animals and just like our other mammal counter parts we too are able to quantify right from wrong with out the presence of a higher being. Whales care for their off spring probably better than humans do. DOGS have saved humans and thei own kind.. WAS THAT BECAUSE THEY HAVE RELIGION WHICH GAVE THEM MORALS?? NO it is because all mammals understand emotions.. I have no fear of doing wrong. But I dont treat people in away I would not want to be treated.. ANd that has nothing to do with religion. But I also feel only the strong should survive and the weak should be put to rest.

you give more credit to your GOD than you do the human race. I can only wonder how I walk this earth without the need of him by my side each day. How I have been blessed with the things I have with out paying my dues to him. I would rather burn in hell then get on my knees and bow down to some god. So he can forgive me for all I have forsaken him for. Yet he gave me paper without writing and told me to follow his words. Listen to the words I speak and once you have true faith then you can see these words I have written on this paper I have given you then you will see the light....

I only have one life to live and I cant spend it trying to unravel riddles and could be or would be's.

THIS!!!!!

ODINSBLOOD said:
Hanzo said:
ODINSBLOOD said:
Hanzo said:
dowork said:

dowork

What does emotion have to do with morality? Your post is very condescending, chockfull of hyperbole about what I think.You think you are on a par with the animal world?Wtf, I better just stop here because your comments are soooo intellectually challenged. Wow, just wow. Hope you overcome your hatred for Christians someday. I feel sorry for you. JESUS LOVES YOU!! :-*

Btw-- you're much more intolerant of other's view's than any religious hypocrite I've ever met.

[attachment deleted by admin]

What does emotion have to do with morality? Your post is very condescending, chockfull of hyperbole about what I think.You think you are on a par with the animal world?Wtf, I better just stop here because your comments are soooo intellectually challenged. Wow, just wow. Hope you overcome your hatred for Christians someday. I feel sorry for you. JESUS LOVES YOU!! :-*

Btw-- you're much more intolerant of other's view's than any religious hypocrite I've ever met.
[/quote]

Are you saying there is not correlation between emotion and morality????????????????????????? 100% of human action is based off of emotion.

Hyperbole HUH!!!! condescending very likely but not meant to be taken as a direct attack on you yourself. I am talking about religion not hanzo.

on par with the animal world? DO I think I am a wolf or some shit like that? fuck no.. DO I realize that I am anamalistic in nature? yes I do. The human race is more animalistic than we give ourselves credit for. If you think we as humans are completely absent of our animal nature you are mistaken.

I do find it funny how you say my comments are intellectually challenging.

intolerant?? I would say NO unaccepting of others faith beliefs when it comes to a higher power YES.. But it has nothing to do with Christians. it has to do with religions as a whole. ALL religion is chalk full of holes because it was constructed by man to control man. Just as in the laws we find ourselves following in this country. MADE BY MAN TO CONTROL MAN..

The problem is most people are sheep and they will follow along without knowing because they are to trusting.. The ones that you have to watch out for are the wolves they are the ones who lead.

Like I said before I got no issues with you or any other christian. WHat I have an issue with is religion. WHY cant I just be me and live my life without a god. WHO is to really say that I am wrong??

I'm not judging you bro, you can live your life anyway you want, I don't care. Perhaps I should've moderated my rhetoric a bit. What I was refering to with the "intellectually...." remark was that you jumped all over the place and stated conflicting positions these last few posts of your's. I have a problem with organized religion, for sure. Many times it has been used for 'people control', to great effect and detriment.But I don't let others affect my faith, just because they call themselves Christians and it's apparent with their actions that they aren't.

Anyway, you have your belief system and I have mine, it's cool.You have issue with religion, that's your perogative. But, by making such sweeping statements you make a blanket judgement of the adherents of said religion, and who's to say they're wrong?

Hanzo said:
I'm not judging you bro, you can live your life anyway you want, I don't care. Perhaps I should've moderated my rhetoric a bit. What I was refering to with the "intellectually...." remark was that you jumped all over the place and stated conflicting positions these last few posts of your's. I have a problem with organized religion, for sure. Many times it has been used for 'people control', to great effect and detriment.But I don't let others affect my faith, just because they call themselves Christians and it's apparent with their actions that they aren't.

Anyway, you have your belief system and I have mine, it's cool.You have issue with religion, that's your perogative. But, by making such sweeping statements you make a blanket judgement of the adherents of said religion, and who's to say they're wrong?
Hanzo
I dont think the people who follow religion are wrong.

WHat I find wrong is the way in which religion propagates itself to establish it's bases. The OT was done by fear and then the NT was done bythe word of love and forgiveness, but behind the scene by forceful destructive action.

and I would not expect you to let other persuade your faith. And yes I assume my statements do blanket the followers of religions. But who is to say I am wrong on the same token? I dont think either is wrong what I find wrong is the corruption that is followed with religion i guess. In the same manner I hate politics..

ODINSBLOOD said:
Hanzo said:

Hanzo
I dont think the people who follow religion are wrong.

WHat I find wrong is the way in which religion propagates itself to establish it's bases. The OT was done by fear and then the NT was done bythe word of love and forgiveness, but behind the scene by forceful destructive action.

and I would not expect you to let other persuade your faith. And yes I assume my statements do blanket the followers of religions. But who is to say I am wrong on the same token? I dont think either is wrong what I find wrong is the corruption that is followed with religion i guess. In the same manner I hate politics..

When people receive, or assume, power over others, no matter what the cause, corruption ensues.

Hanzo said:
Bronco said:
Odin your post to my question is speaking on behalf of yourself. Can you explain how someone else determines right from wrong. Should I let another flawed human being tell me killing, stealing or adultery is wrong.
Bronco
Good point. Morality has always come from religion. To you and I it comes from our Christian God. If there were never morals how could we have civilization in general? Afterall, wouldn't the Law of the Jungle prevail? Only the strong survive? Why would humans have any reason not to follow their every whim, no matter the consequences, especially to other's?

Hint: don't expect a rational answer from DevilsAdvocate, errr, I mean OB.

Correct there would be no civilization Hanzo. If God is not real then there is no ten commandments, if there is
no ten commandments then there is no way I can determine that those ten things are right are wrong.

Bronco said:
Hanzo said:
Bronco said:
Odin your post to my question is speaking on behalf of yourself. Can you explain how someone else determines right from wrong. Should I let another flawed human being tell me killing, stealing or adultery is wrong.
Bronco
Good point. Morality has always come from religion. To you and I it comes from our Christian God. If there were never morals how could we have civilization in general? Afterall, wouldn't the Law of the Jungle prevail? Only the strong survive? Why would humans have any reason not to follow their every whim, no matter the consequences, especially to other's?

Hint: don't expect a rational answer from DevilsAdvocate, errr, I mean OB.

Correct there would be no civilization Hanzo. If God is not real then there is no ten commandments, if there is
no ten commandments then there is no way I can determine that those ten things are right are wrong.

Although brother, Jesus came to Earth to free us from laws of words. He brought with him an invitation to have a personal relationship with God, through His Holy Spirit (more or less our conscience). Before that mankind was caught up in the meaning and translations of laws. With the 2 Commandments Jesus brought, "Love thy neighbor as thyself"( the Golden Rule) and "Judge not lest ye be judged", we can free ourselves from the treachery that comes with the absolute power men have over us when they make or determine what God's Laws mean.I can't understand why people like cross are so hellbent (literally) on discrediting one's faith. The beauty behind all of God's Creation is astounding. It makes me feel like a small, tiny speck in His wondrous universe, and I'm happy with, and humbled by, the thought.

Always good to see you around friend.

To be clear, are you saying that Jesus brought us the Golden Rule? That this concept had never been thought up before Jesus introduced it?

Status
Not open for further replies.